• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 dodge charger rt

wollfen

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have finally pulled my finger out and am listing some pictures of the project so far, its early days yet but with each passing week Im making progress. She is an all original unmolested RT Charger i will be doing up back to as show room condition, cheers,
Gary

car.jpg car3.jpg LH patch repair progress2.jpg LH roof top.jpg LH roof top1.jpg rear frame repair piece.jpg welded trunk.jpg welded trunk2.jpg welded trunk1.jpg RH quarter.jpg ccar.jpg

Nice...Looks like you got started on it awhile back and stopped for a bit. Looks like it'll be a cool ride

Tell us the story on it. Yet another green B-body.

She's a diamond in the rough now, but when your done with it I got a feeling she's gonna be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Keep those pictures coming.

Yah green and it was fitted with a green vinyl roof as well as green interior, yup green dash, green seats, green center console, green carpet, oh and green hoodlining. Did i mention the green? Im checking the option codes to see if it was fitted with the rare green line tires..........
As for the story on the car, she has been sitting for 35 years in North Carolina and was bought by the previous owner as a rebuild project but never touched it. He did though buy up new sheet metal for the car including floor panels, trunk floor, rear quarter panels, rear quarter corners, lower rear half panel and some other sheet metal. i am only going to use the floor and trunk pieces, the rest i am patching as the rear quarters don't need replacing.
When i took a look at the car for sale i was surprised to find he had three 1968 dodge chargers and I had to buy the lot to get the RT. So i am scrapping the red primer one as she is very rusty and too far gone with many parts missing already. The blue one on the other hand is in pretty good condition and i have enough spares to make it almost complete too. But since the fendertag rusted away on it, i am going to do a Bullitt tribute car in all black.

DSC00757.jpgDSC00792.jpg

Looks really cool, I love the color. Mine is green outside white vinyl roof and grenn interior, but a 69

DSC00757.jpg DSC00792.jpg

I like the patching that you are doing but how do you smooth it out for paint?

Right now it is only tacked because the welder I am using wont do less than 60 amps and to properly weld it it should only be 30 amps or less. So once i do fix that problem, i will slowly work along each patch doing a small zap with the mig welder then cooling it with a spray bottle of water. Its a slow process but it stops flat areas of sheet metal from warping. Once i have got that done i can use an air sander to flush the welds. Obviously most times you wont get it perfect over large areas but the amount of body filler you would use is minimal and wouldn't add up to more than what you would normally use to straighten body lines before painting.

great project! makes me miss my '68 R/T. and the best color, you keeping her green?

Yes she is being restored to all original condition, i have a copy of the original title and the fender tag is there and the gearbox number matches but the block has no vin in it. i found the broadcast sheet in the back of the rear seat but it had fallen to pieces.

Another 68 beauty in the making, Great project and good luck to you! looking forward to updates.

Nice to see another '68 Charger coming back to life. That green is the same as the '68 I had and mine was also green inside and out along with the green vinyl top. She'll be a great project.

Nice car, looking forward to seeing the progress.

I'd rather patch than replace any day. factory stuff looks better, fits better in most cases. I found the welding pretty easy after some practice.
Doug

Attachments

• B32.jpg
    B32.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,073
  • P10.jpg
    P10.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,166
Nice car Wollfen,my 65 Belvedere is from Greenville NC,Baker motor company.

Auto Transport Service
Back