• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 dodge coronet Ignition

Figmo911

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
I removed 318 from my 68 coconet and replaced with a 360 that was a create motor in a 74 dodge truck , 318 has point ignition system. 360 had transistor system, not sure if the truck came with the transistor from the factory. Does anyone know how to wire this transistor system into my original 68 harness ? I do have the truck sitting here for parts if needed.. Thanks

I can't remember the details, but it's not really that tough at all. Just take a look at one of the Mopar "orange box" electronic ignition system kits (Summit, Jegs, etc.) and look at the installation instructions. All the same stuff will apply to your car. IF I remember correctly (long time ago), you just need the electronic ignition (aka transistor) distributor, an ignition box (aka ECU) and the plug that connects to the box (5-pin or 7-pin...something I seem to vaguely recall) & you cut/splice a few wires...not too tough at all.

I have the orange box off the truck, the 360 create motor came out of the same 74 dodge truck . The distributor was in the engine , I never removed it .

Ho great now the water pump lower hose is on the wrong side! 318 is on the right 360 is on the left. So i put the 318 pump on the 360 now I can't get any pulleys to line up !!!

Put the 360 pump in the 318 housing. By all means measure first to make sure it will improve alignment.

Auto Transport Service
Back