• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX Fender Tag Interior Seat Codes

Jarhead71

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
Can you guys help me figure out these fender tag codes.

a5: Center Front Seat

b4: Bucket Seats

What is the center front seat option? Does this mean the car came with a console?

Thank you

68 GTX Fender Tag Cropped.jpg

CAR: Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: F70x14 Red Sidewall, Steel Belted
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: January 22.
AXLE: 3.54/3.55 Rear Axle Ratio (Dana60 or 8 3/4), Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Light Blue Interior.
PAINT: Bright Blue Metallic (Dodge), Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth).
OTHER: Light Blue Metallic (Dodge), Frost Blue Metallic (Plymouth) Upper Door Frame Color. White Horizontal Sport Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R1: AM Radio
X1: Tinted Glass (all)

abc OPTIONS:
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

Can you guys help me figure out these fender tag codes.

What is the center front seat option? Does this mean the car came with a console?

Thank you

View attachment 1345640
No console. The "center front seat" is the rather (in)famous "buddy seat" that sits between the front buckets.
With a '68 GTX, you get one or the other - console or buddy seat.
As much as most folks like the console, I like the buddy seat just fine in ours - gives me an arm rest to go with
the one on the door.

No console. The "center front seat" is the rather (in)famous "buddy seat" that sits between the front buckets.
With a '68 GTX, you get one or the other - console or buddy seat.
As much as most folks like the console, I like the buddy seat just fine in ours - gives me an arm rest to go with
the one on the door.

My 68 Charger 4 speed was ordered without the console or buddy seat and man I wish it had the buddy seat. It would give me an arm rest like you said. My dads 66 has the full console 4 speed with the armrest and that is so much nicer than the hard console or nothing there at all.

My 68 Charger 4 speed was ordered without the console or buddy seat and man I wish it had the buddy seat. It would give me an arm rest like you said. My dads 66 has the full console 4 speed with the armrest and that is so much nicer than the hard console or nothing there at all.
I bet it'd be simple to bolt one in, you think?

I bet it'd be simple to bolt one in, you think?

Think you need the brackets welded on the floor pan to mount it to and I didn't wanna add those and get that involved.

Last edited:
Bet that was a pretty car.

Actually you can just set a buddy seat on the hump and it's 90% stable and 100% functional (EDIT- as an arm rest).
Because of the offset hump, it does lean just a bit.
If you get the brackets and bolt them to the buddy seat, it won't tilt as bad and you can defer the welding (I cheated and used self drilling screws) until you feel like it.

There should be dimples in the floor pan to locate the mounts. At least there are in 73.

Last edited:
Think you need the brackets welded on the floor pan to mount it to and I didn't wanna add those and get that involved.
Reinforcement plates added underneath when you bolt it up would be sufficient I'd say.

Auto Transport Service
Back