• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 1968 Hemi GTX, Restored, Numbers Matching

Status
Not open for further replies.

68BabyBlue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
I bought this car last year from a fellow FBBO member, thinking it would be the last GTX I would ever own. It was restored, and owned for 31 years, by a Hemi expert in northern Virginia, who finally parted with it in his mid eighties. He rebuilt the original numbers matching engine to stock specifications. It retains its original manifolds, AFB carbs with correct B8 date codes, original radiator, and factory power disc brake booster. Engine and automatic transmission both have partial VIN stampings. The original engine was removed from the car in the 1970s, but recovered in 1997 at the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle. I was there that year, and saw it run on an engine stand.

Car has original fender tag and certicard, but no broadcast sheet. Factory tinted glass all around, original with proper date code, except for new windshield. Power steering, and original dual piston factory disc brakes. Originally a column automatic, converted to console during restoration. Fenders, doors, hood, floor pans, trunk lid and Dutchman panel are original and rust free. Quarter panels, trunk floor, trunk inners and sections of the outer wheelhouses were replaced with reproduction sheet metal. The 15 inch steelies are not originals, they are Mopar, but date code is late 70s. Trunk finish panel and tail light bezels are re-chromed and restored originals, as are vent wing assemblies.

The core support and trunk lip both show the correct SO number, matching the fender tag. Complete ownership history back to day one, documented with copies of past titles. Odometer reading of 61,000 has been documented on titles. Restoration completed a decade ago, but still shows well, paint quality and gaps are excellent. Reproduction Hemi mufflers with date codes, also have resonators, not currently on car. I took third in a regional show a few weeks ago, beaten by a one owner Coronet R/T survivor, and a Yenko Camaro.

A year after I bought the Hemi, I got a phone call from the owner of the first GTX I ever drove, 52 years ago. After 30 years of ownership, and two decades of me trying to buy it from him, we finally agreed on a price. That is the only reason the Hemi is on the market now. For those of you who haven't read the story, it is posted on the the thread, "the one I loved back then is available..." This offer is for a limited time, I am planning on consigning the car to the Mecum Kissimmee auction if it doesn't sell quickly. Car is located at my home in State College, PA. Priced at $89,000

torque box.jpg
Hemi GTX left side.jpg
hemi interior.jpg
trunk floor.jpg
Hemi Engine.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back