• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Hemi Road Runner

lyndondb

Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what numbers in the VIN on the data plate would indicate that the car is an original Hemi?
Also does the engine have matching serial numbers to the VIN, if so where are they located on the engine?
Last did Plymouth leave any Hemi blocks with "blank" serial numbers on the engine block?

Last edited:
The blocks were all “cast“ with blank serial number pads. They were stamped with a VIN when they knew which car the engine was going into.

For 1968, the fifth digit in the VIN would be a “J” for the Hemi. The first two digits would have to be “RM” or “RS”.

Also… I’m not sure about the Hemi block but the 440 block didn’t get a machined pad for the VIN until late spring 1968 for installation in the 1969MY cars. On 440’s for ‘68 I have seen the VIN on the back cast surface of the block by the oil pressure boss on the engine and transmission on the 727 equipped cars.

J is engine code is the 5th number in the dash vin
Vin will start with RM21 or RM23 for Roadrunner
RS23 for GTX

Engine vin is stamped up near the oil pressure sender and can be hard to read on 68s depending on how much paint is on it

If you are looking at the Fender Tag then along the bottom row you would want to see "73" which is for the 426 Hemi, and the next number beside it should be either a "3" for 4spd, or "5" for an auto.

J is engine code is the 5th number in the dash vin
Vin will start with RM21 or RM23 for Roadrunner
RS23 for GTX

Engine vin is stamped up near the oil pressure sender and can be hard to read on 68s depending on how much paint is on it
I saw an RS27J at a show. :thumbsup:

Can someone please tell me what numbers in the VIN on the data plate would indicate that the car is an original Hemi?
Also does the engine have matching serial numbers to the VIN, if so where are they located on the engine?
Last did Plymouth leave any Hemi blocks with "blank" serial numbers on the engine block?
thanks for all the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back