• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 lynch road Fender tag

104thLRSD

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Lynch Road Fender Tags were painted black in 1968? Mine was black when I bought the car. Ive read that they were not painted at all and just bare metal.

Thanks.

4F67423A-0E66-4F96-8554-F6065B476A32.jpeg

68 is a whole different ball of wax. They should be body color but were hung in the front window opening so not all of them got completely covered in paint. If it were mine, I would paint it completely to protect is from corrosion and rust. I am all for a completely correct car, but also for protecting the parts so they don't rust. I would assume it wouldn't, but once its not "original" it doesn't much matter how much paint is on it because you will never know how much was applied at the factory as it was already previously altered.

Last edited:
...or lightly blast and then clear coat.

Mine was not painted. But mine was pulled off the line to receive a non factory color though.
F87E2DCF-7112-41E9-BDAA-32FEBC8D9B60.png

I pulled mine off when I got home a couple min ago. And, there was a little bit of gold underneath. Looked original and partially painted. Like a mist of overspray. But the black looks original too. Identical to the black used on some of the brackets.etc. I used some steel wool to gently buff away a little bit of the black and couldnt find a layer of gold.
These cars are sometimes like a game of clues. I have a what the ?????moment a couple times a year.
Thanks for the responses though. Much appreciated.

The black paint on the tag is definitely not original. The best way I have found to strip the tag is to soak it in lacquer thinner for a few hours or overnight. Gently scrub with a toothbrush if there is still stubborn paint left. Steel wool or scotch bright pads can easily scratch them. And it would be easy to ruin a tag by blasting. I agree with the others to paint it body color, or at least clear coat.

I’ve wondered about some of the things on my 68 tag also. As you can see in the picture there is a 4 side ways and a R stamped on the top edge. Has anyone else seen this before ?
2FA45D6B-8CB7-4530-9AFD-758A6378F108.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back