• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX 440, 4 speed (NOT MINE)

I wonder why that was? All other components being equal, why would a stick car need
more cooling than the 727?
Other than the slight increase in RPM from the 3.54 gear, I think it was more of a marketing ploy than anything. 440, 4 speed was a performance image. Being able to say it comes with the extra bells and whistles, such as a larger radiator helped the image. That’s my opinion anyways.

Other than the slight increase in RPM from the 3.54 gear, I think it was more of a marketing ploy than anything. 440, 4 speed was a performance image. Being able to say it comes with the extra bells and whistles, such as a larger radiator helped the image. That’s my opinion anyways.
One would think an automatic would require a larger radiator? Because of the trans cooler? Bigger tougher rear was for 4 speeds due to more micro bursts of torque. (A better driver would produce less) I one time asked an auto engineer why auto trans trucks are rated to tow more than manual trans? He said had nothing to do with strength/reliability. It was the driver.

The car isn't stock; it says so in the ad. I'm sure if it was a numbers matching type car it would be listed for no less than $55K. I think $32K is a great price for a fast (?) car that you can enjoy and not have to worry about its numbers matching pedigree...

Agreed, based on the market right now.

I have a feeling the car is price reasonable for someone wanting a decent car . BUT would require an in person inspection as well.

But based on whats shown my gut tells me its a auto converted to 4 spd in its past.

Must be something like that with the gear - the standard rear in the auto GTX was the 3.23. I guess 3.54 was enough
extra RPM to warrant additional cooling required?

Auto Transport Service
Back