• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth Satellite/GTX Sail Panels - help please

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
Glad to say I'm finally looking at the next minj-project on Fred the GTX!
The sail panels inside are raggedy as hell, but the main headliner is fine.
Do these sail panels come out separately easily?
I see some places show replacements, but the application data (as usual) seems a bit sketchy,
like '68 is a stand-alone year for these things. Is this true?
Thanks as always in advance,
Ed and Fred

Depends on which style you have. Some the headliner material goes over them. The others can come wrapped in material. The actual panel just pops in place with clips like the door panels use.

The ‘68 GTX I have didn’t have the sail panels and I thought that correct. There is a short headliner Rod there. It seems
to me they started in ‘69.
Mines the same PP1.

The ‘68 GTX I have didn’t have the sail panels and I thought that correct. There is a short headliner Rod there. It seems
to me they started in ‘69.
Mines the same PP1.
From what I see from sellers, I believe you're right - seems the individual "cards" started in '69.
I bet a resourceful fella could retro those into a '68 - but that fella ain't me.
I just verified it in Fred just now - the headliner is indeed one piece all the way down the sides of the
rear window, so I reckon he'll go to an upholstery shop one day - and get replacement plastic trim
for the window too, since it's dry-rotted and brittle also.

For today though, he got another nice piece of Gorilla brand thick cloth back tape.... :thumbsup:
Thanks as always, gentlemen.

My 68 is one piece also.
1359E597-8526-4770-8819-5A2B34D5D142.png

My 68 GTX was built in June and I have one piece sail panels. Two clips hold them to the sheet metal frame.
Here are some pic's. Other years had a slightly different set-up.
7588419-4spd092.jpg
IMG_1129.JPG
beerestoration2019 3125.JPG

When I went to buy a headliner for my car I was lucky to call Legendary and talk
to one of the guys. They told me that 68 was the only year that had a seperate sail
panel and explained how the material was glued down under the package tray. With
all of the pictures out there, It wasn't very clear about what should be done.

Auto Transport Service
Back