• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Road runner

Eric Pearson

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:15 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post. Hope that I’m doing it correctly. Does anyone know if the trunk finish panel has a black and white Road Runner decal on the right hand side top corner or was there no decal. I’ve seen both plain and ones with colored RR’s on them. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone have a paint code for the dark argent silver paint that is on the grill of the 68. Thanks
68D6E0D0-E9A5-407D-8B6B-D0CA87260A36.jpeg

On the finish panels I've seen, the bird is the colored version.
Welcome to the site! ruffcut

It should be the running bird, in color, with “road runner”

Welcome from Indiana. My favorite year road runner. The only thing wrong is only one picture.

Hello all, this is my first post. Hope that I’m doing it correctly. Does anyone know if the trunk finish panel has a black and white Road Runner decal on the right hand side top corner or was there no decal. I’ve seen both plain and ones with colored RR’s on them. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone have a paint code for the dark argent silver paint that is on the grill of the 68. Thanks View attachment 1176138

Thanks for the welcomes and for the information. So here’s another question if the Road runners are black and white on the doors due to Chrysler not paying for the copyright in 68 why is the bird in color on the finish panel? Also can any one help me with this fender tag. I have most of it decoded but I can’t seem to find out what C 4 represents on the second line.also on the top right it appears to have a large # 17 under the top uwy line. Thanks for the help

5A47DA3C-740E-49DE-9939-F31579ADF677.jpeg 94A58E2F-592A-49EC-94A7-0B78B86402F6.jpeg

My original 68 Roadrunner decore panel did not come with a colored bird decal. I bought a new finish panel from the Dodge garage in the late 70s and that panel came with the colored running bird.

I’ve heard they had the rights to use the colored bird in late 68 and most decor packages came along on later models. They kept the black and white birds on the dash and doors so they would look the same for that year. This may not be correct but it’s the only story that I have heard. It would be interesting to here some other reasons. Thanks

I have 3 finish panels and all have the colored bird. Not sure if they are original or not. The one on my car was on it when I purchased it from the original owner. I would love to know also why they are not black and white.

Welcome. Here is a picture from my 68 road runner built April 1968.

20211008_195315.jpg

Okay, maybe urban legend, but over at allpar.com the article about the black and white road runner was to appease the VP of marketing. He was opposed to a 'cartoon sticker' on the car and did not want colors to clash, or whatever. He conceded if the sticker was black and white.
When the road runner surprised everyone by selling 3 times the estimated build the 'sticker' arguments where settled and the road runner was in it's glory of color.
See allpar.com for the story.

Auto Transport Service
Back