• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 roadrunner with factory A/C?

Scott Kiger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I just came across an unrestored 68 roadrunner that looks to have come with factory A/C. It’s a four speed car and is a post car so it having A/C is sort of flooring me. Definitely a roadrunner still sporting it’s fading factory paint. How rare is this thing to have A/C?

E8C8258D-FED8-4C4C-B0E1-7FB52DFEACC3.png

With a 4-speed and A/C is not very common from what I have read.....not impossible, but not common.

that’s what I am thinking. I am doing due diligence on it but if it’s legit it’s definitely worth saving.

I remember back in the 80’s AC was something you didn’t want. It cluttered up the engine compartment, and was usually non functional. I still wouldn’t want the antiquated factory set up. But that’s just me.

Is it in yours hands now? If so, a pic of the VIN and Fender Tags will help immensely to determine what you have.

No I don’t have it yet. Just found it. Fender tag is there but is illegible and rusty. It may have a build sheet in it but none of the seats or anything have been removed. VIN says it’s a roadrunner and the VIN tag matches the number on the radiator support etc.

No I don’t have it yet. Just found it. Fender tag is there but is illegible and rusty. It may have a build sheet in it but none of the seats or anything have been removed. VIN says it’s a roadrunner and the VIN tag matches the number on the radiator support etc.
If you do end up getting it....a handy trick is to turn the fender tag over and photograph it. Then reverse the image......it is normally easier to read from the back.

68 Roadrunner Coupe Advert. #8 midsize 5 accessary groups.jpg

68 Roadrunner Coupe Advert. #9 Belvedere GTX Satellite options.jpg

Last edited:
I'm missing a couple of pages but that's right from the 68 midsize 5
& RR options, references parts of the Sales Brochure
68 Roadrunner Coupe Advert. #11 Belvedere GTX Satellite options accessaries.jpg

Last edited:
I remember back in the 80’s AC was something you didn’t want. It cluttered up the engine compartment, and was usually non functional. I still wouldn’t want the antiquated factory set up. But that’s just me.
My '67 had it's factory a/c until I parked it in '97. It is still the coldest factory a/c I've ever had. Yes, it bogged down the 383 when it kicked on, not hp efficient, but w r12, it was amazing.

My '67 had it's factory a/c until I parked it in '97. It is still the coldest factory a/c I've ever had. Yes, it bogged down the 383 when it kicked on, not hp efficient, but w r12, it was amazing.

My Six Pack cars, both 4 speed were N/A for AC in 1970. And I’ve read it was a clearance issue with the air cleaner assembly. But AC was also N/A with the 440 4bbl. 4 speed. So I think it was a RPM thing as well. It I was to put AC on one of my cars, I’d go for a modern compact system that is rated to 6500 RPM.

I'm missing a couple of pages but that's right from the 68 midsize 5
& RR options, references parts of the Sales Brochure
View attachment 1230757

So help me out here as a newbie to looking at this. Does it say A/C was an option? I don’t know what the “E” stands for. All my experience has been with early B bodies up to now

My Six Pack cars, both 4 speed were N/A for AC in 1970. And I’ve read it was a clearance issue with the air cleaner assembly. But AC was also N/A with the 440 4bbl. 4 speed. So I think it was a RPM thing as well. It I was to put AC on one of my cars, I’d go for a modern compact system that is rated to 6500 RPM.
I have a modern now and it's even colder. It's actually colder than any system I've ever driven in and I'm in 120+ summer temps. But the OP is speaking of a possible original a/c car and if it is, definitely worth returning to original considering how few there possibly were.

Those are from the early run of 1968 brochures
RRs Post Coupes
(before the Hard Tops came out mid year run)
or Belvederes, Satellites, Sport Satellites & GTXs

performance engines in 1968 'mid-size 5'
I think it was an air-cleaner clearance issue (speculation)
it didn't list the 383 4bbl RR 335hp engine thou (?)
it did list N/A with 383 2bbl 4 speed (that wasn't available in a RR either)

my moms ordered new 1968 Sport Satellite
with a 383 4bbl 4 speed, had AC on it,
I'm not 100% sure if it was a dealer add on or factory
it had the vents in the center of the dash so I assumed it was factory installed
like this below, just no 150mph speedo that was only available in the GTX
68 Roadrunner Coupe Advert. #3 instrument panel.jpg

sorry I don't remember the 'E' designations
(I assume) Extra (?) as in extra cost maybe dealer installed
it's denoted Extra Cost somewhere at the bottom of a page (not 100% sure)
S - is standard equipment
NA - is Not Available

I've had 13 RRs 8) 68's 4) 69s & 1) 70, none had AC

Last edited:
VIN says it’s a roadrunner and the VIN tag matches the number on the radiator support etc.

hold the phones...... original post states it's a 68 ...... 68 VIN will not match the body stampings, the body stampings should match the fender tag..... is it a 69?

Hey guys I just came across an unrestored 68 roadrunner that looks to have come with factory A/C. It’s a four speed car and is a post car so it having A/C is sort of flooring me. Definitely a roadrunner still sporting it’s fading factory paint. How rare is this thing to have A/C?

Auto Transport Service
Back