• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 RR Brake light switch - is this the correct one?

dasol7172

Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone... So got a issue where the plunger on the switch isn't depressed enough after a while as the switch mount arm bends back and it puts the brake lights on. Beyond having to try and adjust the brake pedal pushrod (if possible) and then having to adjust the clutch pedal as it wont be even with each other. I wanted to ask.. Does that look like the right switch? My 69 has one that looks just a bit longer in the same type of mount. Or is adjusting the brake pedal and clutch pedal the way to do it.

In the picture you can see where its been bent slightly towards the brake bolt/push rod.

20240107_182526.jpg

Hello everyone... So got a issue where the plunger on the switch isn't depressed enough after a while as the switch mount arm bends back and it puts the brake lights on. Beyond having to try and adjust the brake pedal pushrod (if possible) and then having to adjust the clutch pedal as it wont be even with each other. I wanted to ask.. Does that look like the right switch? My 69 has one that looks just a bit longer in the same type of mount. Or is adjusting the brake pedal and clutch pedal the way to do it.

In the picture you can see where its been bent slightly towards the brake bolt/push rod.

View attachment 1586845
Lot’s of 4 speed B Bodies did not have the clutch and brake pedal the same height, if that is your biggest problem, I wouldn’t be very worried.

Manual brakes? Make sure the push rod is locked into the master. If it is not that's why you keep bending the switch bracket.

Manual brakes? Make sure the push rod is locked into the master. If it is not that's why you keep bending the switch bracket.
Its bent so its closer to the bolt and the plunger is pushed in enough to keep the lights off, not that the brake lever is hitting it.

Lot’s of 4 speed B Bodies did not have the clutch and brake pedal the same height, if that is your biggest problem, I wouldn’t be very worried.
So i take that its normal and to just adjust as needed.

You do realized that the brake switch bracket slides in a slot to adjust it???
on mine the bolt does not got through the slot on there. I thought that originally too.. but i think if i moved it to that then it would be even larger of a space to the brake bolt/pushrod

on mine the bolt does not got through the slot on there. I thought that originally too.. but i think if i moved it to that then it would be even larger of a space to the brake bolt/pushrod
You adjust it as said above. There is a bolt you loosen and the bracket slides. You can see the brackets tab in the slot in your photo. Does the brake pedal pull back? It should be locked in the master and not pull back. If it is not that's why you have to keep adjusting it. The pedal when released is pounding the switch back.

You adjust it as said above. There is a bolt you loosen and the bracket slides. You can see the brackets tab in the slot in your photo. Does the brake pedal pull back? It should be locked in the master and not pull back. If it is not that's why you have to keep adjusting it. The pedal when released is pounding the switch back.
I will try and eyeball the otherside.. i ran my finger on the slot back and forth and there was nothing in there bolt wise. However.. it could be incorrect in the first place.. Although.. I checked my 69 and it was the same way so not sure. I will double check tomorrow. Thanks for the insight.

I will try and eyeball the otherside.. i ran my finger on the slot back and forth and there was nothing in there bolt wise. However.. it could be incorrect in the first place.. Although.. I checked my 69 and it was the same way so not sure. I will double check tomorrow. Thanks for the insight.
Its as clear as mud. Red circle bolt, blue circle adjustment slot.

brake switchccccccccccccccc.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back