• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Super Bee rear quarter panel question

Superbee Sean

Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Need help here……I am replacing both rear quarters and have a question as in fitment under the side marker. Is the lower end of the quarter supposed to draw in tight to the rear of the trunk floor extension?? Or is there supposed to be a gap between the quarter and the extension……looking from the rear….. Pic not very clear, and not sure of placement before I weld it……rear crossmember extension not installed yet….. Any help is appreciated….

IMG_1897.jpeg

Hi Sean, been there and done that...Remember you're working with reproduction sheet metal here. It will never fit the same as factory metal.
Try and fit the quarter as best as possible to the trunk extension. Are you replacing the trunk extensions also? or working with what's left of the original metal?
I don't see any tabs on the trunk extension.., bottom line is, there will be some gap after you're done welding.
You may not be able to fit it perfectly, but do the best you can. Fill any small gaps with seam sealer. If the gap is too large to start with, recheck your fitment.
Good luck.

Hi Sean, been there and done that...Remember you're working with reproduction sheet metal here. It will never fit the same as factory metal.
Try and fit the quarter as best as possible to the trunk extension. Are you replacing the trunk extensions also? or working with what's left of the original metal?
I don't see any tabs on the trunk extension.., bottom line is, there will be some gap after you're done welding.
You may not be able to fit it perfectly, but do the best you can. Fill any small gaps with seam sealer. If the gap is too large to start with, recheck your fitment.
Good luck.
Thanks for the input. I did trunk floor extensions (tabs are there, crappy photo). I did everything from new rails to new trunk floor, inner and outer ww’s……..ugh!! It is about and inch to an inch and a half gap at the end, where the new quarter and the new trunk extension end. I haven’t put in the rear cross member extensions yet, and they wind it nice to the floor extension. Just worried about the look of the quarter if I tuck it in that far…..68 Coronets are few and far between around here, to see one for myself……guess I could clamp up and fit the rear bumper to mock up.

Auto Transport Service
Back