• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Trunk/Tail Panel Reinforcement

JPWally

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
I recently saw a 1968 Charger R/T undergoing restoration. The trunk had a pair of reinforcement brackets I was not familiar with. My 68' Charger does not have them. Please shed some light on this piece of sheet-metal. Is my car missing them? I don't see them in the aftermarket...

Thanks in advance! JW

1968 Charger tail panel reinforcement.jpg

I am not familiar with the Charger bodies, but yes, they are missing on your car. On the other Dodge and Plymouth B bodies cars, there are NOT any of the rear tail panel braces made either, so it's used units or nothing. If you have a rusty used one, you could take it to a very good quality sheetmetal shop and they might be able to replicate a pair. Good Luck.

I think this was discussed before..... some had them, some didn't?

They were installed on "early" cars and were eliminated sometime late in 1967 along with the "skeletal" inner trunk frame. See the first page of my thread here....

Thanks eldubb440 and Richard C. ----- that past forum article explains why my March 1968-built Charger is without these metal reinforcements.....A good reference item for the archives!

Regards, JW

Auto Transport Service
Back