• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 383 road runner points replacement

Kmart

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
I want to replace points on my 383 roadrunner with pertronix. What part number do I need..Some say 1381a other sites say they will not work on 1969 model. Who is using these and what works. Thanks in advance

I want to replace points on my 383 roadrunner with pertronix. What part number do I need..Some say 1381a other sites say they will not work on 1969 model. Who is using these and what works. Thanks in advance
Contact Pertronix

Points are so much easier than any electronic gizmos. Then when they fail, wait, they don’t fail if you keep them maintained. Points, what a great system!

WHY?? For an occasional use vehicle, the factory ignition system has and will perform extremely well. UNLESS, all your buddies have __________ (fill in the blank with Pertonix, MSD, or some other aftermarket brand) and you want to just be like everyone else.....and then extole the virtues of "blazing horsepower increase or smoother idling or excellent MPG or being stranded along the road when the fancy system fails"..... short answer: leave well enough alone......
BOB RENTON

I just bought another classic mopar. Sadly is has pertronix in it. Good news the distributor is wrong for the car so it will be for sale soon with the china ignition going with it also.

The best improvement you could make for a reasonable $$$ outlay is to get a GM HEI dist for your car. Simple one wire hook up, coil in cap [ an E core coil, more powerful than a canister coil ] & you can 0.060" plug gaps. It can run large gaps because it is such a powerful ign sytem.
Think about why the GM HEI is now available for non-GM cars.........
Despite the nonsense in post #5, you will veeeery often notice an improved idle & better mileage with elec ign. One simple reason [ there are many reasons ] is that points start to wear the rubbing block from day one.....& it continues to wear; at the same time it is retarding the ign, reducing power & economy.

Petronix is so simple to convert back to points. Take it out, add points cond and a primary lead set the points your done.

I use pertronix in my 67. It is their base version , no rev limiter ect.
I also used their 1.5 ohm coil.
Ballast resistor is bypassed but still on the Fire wall.
Like Halifax said it is simple to convert back . I have carried the points, condenser, plate , with me for years.
The pertronix has worked fine, I drive aprox 3,000 miles per year on it.
9 or 10 years one Cap and one rotor replaced for normal maintenance.
We have used them on older tractors and other classic cars.
I have heard complaints on their (race) versions and plug and play distributors.
We have always just used their simple conversion set with no problems.
For your 383 summit has the base unit
Part # pnx 1381A $99
Coil is part# pnx40011 $52

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back