• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 440 air cleaner lid

paul1969cars

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi

Wondering if anyone knows which color lid I need on my engine
I understand that "RED" was for 69 cars and "orange" was for 70 cars

my car came off assembly line in july of 69 so one of last cars made in 69 because they were stating on the 70 models in july as I have been told

Knowing that should lid be red or orange

What car and engine are we talking about? When it comes to a 340... Red was 68, orange was 69.

Orange 440 is 69 and later.

Red 440 is 67 and 68

He’s asking about the air cleaner lid. The high performance air cleaner lid was black wrinkled semi-gloss. The low performance air cleaner would be black semi-gloss. The picture below is of the high performance air cleaner.

IMG_0953.png

Hi
Its a
1969 440 engine
Came off assembly line July 8 1969
Red or Orange aluminum lid on air cleaner is the question I have.

My '69 440 (10/16/68 production date / Hamtramck) has a red pie tin. There have been a couple of threads lately saying the red was replaced by orange as production moved into 1969. I also have a white shifter ball and black buttons on the outer door handles which from what I have been told are '68 details.

Thanks

Makes sense

Mine is a later production date of july of 1969 so that is why im asking

I had an unrestored '69 GTX, Lynch Road build in April '69 that came with a red one. The decal was pretty well shot, so I replaced it with a new one for $32 in 1991. Later build, I can't say. My current car was a September '68 Lynch Road car, and also wore a red one when new. Last owner restored it with an orange one, I now have one of each.

I had an unrestored '69 GTX, Lynch Road build in April '69 that came with a red one. The decal was pretty well shot, so I replaced it with a new one for $32 in 1991. Later build, I can't say. My current car was a September '68 Lynch Road car, and also wore a red one when new. Last owner restored it with an orange one, I now have one of each.
THANKS

Seems like it supposed to be RED for 69 even later builds in 69

My fifth GTX is currently for sale by the Volo Auto Museum if you want to see pictures. The situation with this car gets interesting. It was a July build date, at the St Louis plant. The original air cleaner was removed early in the car's life, but stored in the trunk with the original date coded carb, and manifolds. Guy who restored it used a red pie tin, when red and orange were readily available. I assumed he was trying to match the color that was on the car, but I can't prove it.

My fifth GTX is currently for sale by the Volo Auto Museum if you want to see pictures. The situation with this car gets interesting. It was a July build date, at the St Louis plant. The original air cleaner was removed early in the car's life, but stored in the trunk with the original date coded carb, and manifolds. Guy who restored it used a red pie tin, when red and orange were readily available. I assumed he was trying to match the color that was on the car, but I can't prove it.
THANKS

I understand that organe pie tins for 70 cars
RED is 69

Auto Transport Service
Back