• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Daytona Fender "Tire Clearance" Debate Once Again!

Dibbons

Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
I tried to correct this "know it all" on the video he posted where he claims the front fender perforations are for tire clearance. When I posted a comment that was incorrect, the same guy came back with a reply that "Dodge" even said the slots were for tire clearance. I give up.

That dipshit touched people's cars. I commented that if I saw someone touching my car at a show, that they are at risk of a swift kick in the ***.

Ah, another "expert" - the dude was repeating (erroneous) info he heard, and no way do self-professed experts back down.
Chrysler allegedly snuck those things through referring to them as clearance for the tires, as their true purpose would not have been approved according to the rule book of the time.
It's patently obvious that even the racecars' tires didn't require the exit scoops for clearance.
It's also obvious from period photos of those racecars that they were for venting underhood air; they didn't have the street car fender aprons.
They should be referred to as "vents"...their NASCAR-legality doesn't matter 50+ years later.

They also had mesh (screens) in the holes under those fender vents, so they were NOT for tire clearance, they were for letting air escape from inside the fenders, from what I understand anyway. Did I see a Chevy "BOW TIE" tattoo on his finger?

My favorite one was when asking an engineer about the wing. He said the rumor was it was that tall so the trunk would open.

The engineers face lit up, when he got done laughing iirc he said we didn’t give a damn about that, we were told to make the car fast

I love all the myths and stories surrounding the wing cars :rofl:

Last edited:
Let's add to the rumor, I heard the fender scoops reduced drag almost as much as all the other mods combined. Some of the other mods added downforce and increased drag. Scoops slickened the car up.

That dipshit touched people's cars. I commented that if I saw someone touching my car at a show, that they are at risk of a swift kick in the ***.
I'll bet that asshole doesn't even own a classic Mopar....he just goes around making videos of other people's efforts to make cash for himself. :jackoff:

I read somewhere many years ago that the fender scoops were to allow the built-up air pressure from the tyres at high speed to escape. That air escaping quite possibly created a flow that helped to suck the car down a smidge or two at high speed.

Geez, I thought those things were for disposing your cigarette butts?

Smokie.jpeg

Geez, I thought those things were for disposing your cigarette butts?

View attachment 1498295
I didn't know that Bobby Isaac was a smoker while racing.

Old Dandy Dick Landy......only guy I have ever seen with a cigar hanging out his mouth while racing.....what a great guy. :thumbsup:

Makes the Marlboro Man look like a pussy. :p

It is a funny thing to me...seeing how brazen and masculine MEN looked like back then. Nobody looked like these queers...

Z beard 2.png

1 fag hair.jpg

The Not as cool as David Pearson meme :thumbsup:

I didn't know that Bobby Isaac was a smoker while racing.

Old Dandy Dick Landy......only guy I have ever seen with a cigar hanging out his mouth while racing.....what a great guy. :thumbsup:

Makes the Marlboro Man look like a pussy. :p
And Dick never lit them. He didn't smoke. I just read that he went through 50 boxes of cigars a year.

And Dick never lit them. He didn't smoke. I just read that he went through 50 boxes of cigars a year.
Driving my GTX hard used to make me drool at times....I can see how Dick went through a few boxes of cigars. :lol:

All those cool guys are now just memories of a better time in our lives. :(

I do not recall any discussion of the scoops on the fenders in this tech paper, but get yourself a copy if you like reading about what they did during development.

The Aerodynamic Development of the Charger Daytona for Stock Car Competition

Screenshot_20230723-082519~2.png
Screenshot_20230723-082535~2.png
Screenshot_20230723-082630~2.png

For future searches:
The Aerodynamic Development
of the Charger Daytona for
Stock Car Competition
R. P. Marcell and G. F. Romberg
Chrysler Corp.

Last edited:
I read in an article that Mopar engineers at the wind tunnel found the "vents" lowered drag by 3%.

Here is where I saw the three percent mentioned:

Screenshot_20230723-091622~3.png

Screenshot_20230723-091637~2.png

These Cheaty Scoops Are What Really Made the Dodge Charger Daytona Spectactular

These Cheaty Scoops Are What Really Made the Dodge Charger Daytona Spectactular​

The wings and nose were important, but these small scoops are how Dodge really got the advantage.
BY STEVE LEHTOPUBLISHED: NOV 7, 2016

I'll bet that asshole doesn't even own a classic Mopar....he just goes around making videos of other people's efforts to make cash for himself. :jackoff:

I read somewhere many years ago that the fender scoops were to allow the built-up air pressure from the tyres at high speed to escape. That air escaping quite possibly created a flow that helped to suck the car down a smidge or two at high speed.
Wait a minute. The NASCAR versions didn't have inner fender wells. I'll speculate it's more likely the fender scoops served to help relieve pressure from the engine bay...reducing drag by not having as much air go under the car.

The video below is of a Superbird, but towards the end they are checking flow at the fender scoops.

Auto Transport Service
Back