• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Plymouth Factory Exhaust Tip Location

69 GeeTeeX

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Chrysler / Plymouth ever had an actual specification for how far out the Chrome exhaust tips were from the rear bumper? I've checked and can't find any information about it.

If not, what's the general rule of thumb being used 1.5" - 2"?

The factory pipes are made to length, the tips slip in the hangers. You install the tips and push them forward on the pipe and hangar. If you have pipe over the tip far enough and the hanger bracket through the hanger far enough then those 2 things set the tip position pretty well with little variance.

They shouldn’t stick out very far. 1” is about right.

0300EEB8-0CC9-4D7C-B146-51635A2C59DE.jpeg

I agree, Thanks. About a month ago I installed an accurate exhaust on a customers car and the owner isn’t happy with the tips (not out far enough). Today the weather was nice and they brought it back to my shop. I measured from bumper face to tip and it’s roughly 1”. Tip to back of the rolled lip on bottom of bumper is roughly 1.5” - 1.650”. Showed him how parts fit together. Still not satisfied.

Originally they had TTI exhaust where tail pipes fit into hanger and tips slide on to what ever position you like. TTI tips we’re about 3” - 3.5” away from bumper on old system when looking at the pictures I took before starting the job.

When the car gets driven the rear bumper gets a coating on it from the exhaust and he thinks now it’ll be even worse with the tips installed like they are. :realcrazy:

I agree, Thanks. About a month ago I installed an accurate exhaust on a customers car and the owner isn’t happy with the tips (not out far enough). Today the weather was nice and they brought it back to my shop. I measured from bumper face to tip and it’s roughly 1”. Tip to back of the rolled lip on bottom of bumper is roughly 1.5” - 1.650”. Showed him how parts fit together. Still not satisfied.

Originally they had TTI exhaust where tail pipes fit into hanger and tips slide on to what ever position you like. TTI tips we’re about 3” - 3.5” away from bumper on old system when looking at the pictures I took before starting the job.

When the car gets driven the rear bumper gets a coating on it from the exhaust and he thinks now it’ll be even worse with the tips installed like they are. :realcrazy:

It's unfortunate, but your customer is probably right. A factory correct system will wreak havoc on your rear bumper. My '68 GTX has worn factory original hangers and NOS tips from day one until present. Thanks to fanatical maintenance by the first two owners, the bumper never pitted, but the chrome was gone from cleaning when I bought it in 1983. Re-chromed the bumper at 103,000 miles, and now 35 years later at 118,000, it's full of thin spots (again from cleaning). I had a survivor '69 with OEM tips and hangers, and the bumper and trim had a deep swirl pattern of pits from the fumes. I remember reading a Consumer Reports road test on a '68 Dodge Charger R/T back in the day, and they also criticized the factory system for fogging the bumper.

Auto Transport Service
Back