• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Door Won't Close Tight

193rdsow

Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the door lock mechanism is being reproduced or is there a rebuild service? The door will not stay closed tightly on my Road Runner and it appears the spocket wheel is sloppy/worn out. Suggestions appreciated.

Could be a striker adjustment, but my '68 had one latch that just wouldn't click the second time without brute force; I believe the nylon bumper on the top may have been worn out.

At any rate, I replaced it with a used one off of eBay - which also came with an NOS RH side as well.

-Kurt

Tried to adjust the striker and it didn't help at all

Could be a striker adjustment, but my '68 had one latch that just wouldn't click the second time without brute force; I believe the nylon bumper on the top may have been worn out.

At any rate, I replaced it with a used one off of eBay - which also came with an NOS RH side as well.

-Kurt
Same issue, passenger door. Not brute, but closes tight but not easy like the drivers door. Adjustment fit looks good.

It won't make a second click. One click even if I shut the door hard. Then it is a half inch gap from closed.

Any idea if there are repops out there or can it be rebuilt?

Pretty sure it's latch replacement time then. Will it click once and let the door hang, but not twice?

-Kurt
Kurt,

That's exactly what it does. Does anyone reproduce the latches?

Let me through this out here just for the hell of it. When I got my '69 Road Runner (Dec. '14) the doors where hard to close. I messed with the striker adjustment and they got so bad that no matter how hard I slammed it, it would not latch. I tried again and as luck would have it I rounded out most of the Phillips head screws (they should be outlawed) so I drilled them out and replaced them with Torx heads. After a little fine tuning they now latch themselves simply by letting the door go and close itself. It is a thing of beauty. My point is, maybe a bit more perseverance tweaking?

Another thought is maybe use a degreaser spray or remove it and thoroughly degrease the mechanism.

Other than that, I checked and could not find any replacements online.

Ok. Thanks guys. I will tinker with it some more

284040736-axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture52670-holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

:lol:

try bringing the striker out just a little if its in too far it wont catch the second latch

I wondered if the rubber is too stiff, and the door cannot shut because of it.

If the rubber turns out be the problem, rub some Vaseline on it, close the door, and leave overnight.

Next morning, wipe off the Vaseline, and the rubber should 'comply' a lot better. Quite useful on new rubber. :thumbsup:

Hate to admit it but my passenger door would not close all the way once in a great while it would close properly
Keep in mind it’s a project car it’s just parked
My buddy was checking out the car and I was telling yeah that door doesent close quite all the way he looked at it and notice the door window was hitting up top so he rolled down the window like a hair and the door closes properly now! lmao

If the rubber turns out be the problem, rub some Vaseline on it, close the door, and leave overnight.

Next morning, wipe of the Vaseline, and the rubber should 'comply' a lot better. Quite useful on new rubber. :thumbsup:
Will do,,,and check

Next morning, wipe off the Vaseline, and the rubber should 'comply' a lot better. Quite useful on new rubber. :thumbsup:
yes some of the rubber could be hard as hell
old stuff could be an issue too

never tried the vasoline deal

Hate to admit it but my passenger door would not close all the way once in a great while it would close properly
Keep in mind it’s a project car it’s just parked
My buddy was checking out the car and I was telling yeah that door doesent close quite all the way he looked at it and notice the door window was hitting up top so he rolled down the window like a hair and the door closes properly now! lmao
Yes yes,I have a convertible ,,I rolled down the windows also,,thanks

try bringing the striker out just a little if its in too far it wont catch the second latch
This would be my guess. I had a new 77 Dodge pickup and the door wouldn’t close completely no matter what adjustments the Dealer made. I took it to an old body shop guy that lived up the street and he had it adjusted in less than 5 minutes. The problem was that the striker was adjusted in to far in.

Yes yes,I have a convertible ,,I rolled down the windows also,,thanks
I think it was hitting the quarter window for the back or something
I would push on it hard and slam it some, I don’t know how didn’t break the window

Auto Transport Service
Back