• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Sport Satellite with 440 big block

440SportSatellite

Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
Well, this past week I finally did it. I bought the car I've been dreaming of since I was in high school and got to drive a buddys beat up 383 '69 Roadrunner a few times, that pretty much sealed my love for mopar cars. It's not a roadrunner or a GTX like I've dreamed about, but I think it's just as good. I guess I'll go ahead and give you all the whole back story since this is supposed to be my introduction thread.
I actually had the chance to buy that '69 Roadrunner back in 1997 for $500, with a junkyard 440 that he'd just dropped into it. Unfortunately I was just out of high school and $500 was a lot of money for me back then...heck it's still kind of a lot, but at least I have more than that in the bank now. So I've been kicking myself over not getting that car ever since.
In 2001 I bought a Dodge Dakota R/T just because I loved the fact they had brought back the R/T name, and you could do some fun stuff with the 360 RWD platform they had. It was a nice truck, I did the heads and cam, true dual exhaust, 4.56 gears and all kinds of fun stuff to it. Had lots of fun at the drag strip the few times I made it out there. Unfortunately I had to sell it for financial reasons back in 2009.
The last couple of years I got into a habit of going on the local craigslist and just searching for anything that said mopar in the ad, several months back I found this Sport Satellite...man it was nice, but I could never afford that. Then I watched him continue to drop the price over time. Finally last week I decided to go check it out, and that was it.
It needs some little things, but overall is in awesome shape. Originally a 318 car, the last owner had a 440 built and dropped in along with a rebuilt 727 3-speed auto. The only part of the drivetrain he didn't replace is the rear end. Just figured out it's a 8.25 without any kind of sure grip today. Think that's the first major thing I'm going to have to take care of. Don't know whether to just upgrade the 8.25 with sure grip and 3.55 gears, or swap out to 8.75 or Dana 60. Of course, that all requires money I don't have right now, since I just demolished my savings on this thing. Gotta plan for the future though. Hopefully I can get some good advice here.
So I'll stop typing now and post the all important pics.
IMG_0703.jpgIMG_0702.jpgIMG_0701.jpgIMG_0704.jpgIMG_0705.jpgIMG_0708.jpgIMG_0709.jpg

I AM HONORED TO BE THE FIRST TO GIVE YOU A BIG INTERTUBES HUG !!!!!!!

Way to go with the pictures and welcome to FBBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sSig_greetingsthor::sSig_welcometoourcl:hatwave: nice ride :headbang:

Sounds like there was some wierd things going on with your thread but hope its back up & good on your end.
Anyways, Welcome and CONGRATS on your purchase!! Heck, you may have ended up with more options than the old Roadrunner you passed up on years ago seeing the buckets and console, very nice options to have. Looks like a pretty presentable car by the pics too.
As far as your rear-end issue, I would consider driving it around (gently) until you could buy an 8 3/4 set up. They are plenty strong enough for most applications and a lot less $$$$$$ than a Dana 60. I've seen many posted on craigslist for $50-200 minus center section, that you could find at junk yards or swap meets for pretty cheap. Got my 3.91 sure grip out of a u-pull-it one time for $25!!!
Well have fun with your car, although I know you already are!
Nice ride too bud.

Welcome aboard. Good for you for finally pulling the trigger on your dream car, she's a beaut.

welcome to FBBO, very nice 69 Sport Satellite w/440.. you'll fit right in here

- - - Updated - - -

an 8-3/4" would be an easy inexpensive swap & much stronger than the 8-1/4" rear

- - - Updated - - -

if you have the extra $$$$ go with a Dana 60, Strange Engineering has good bolt in Dana 60 9-3/4" S-60's for reasonable prices, better than some old wore out D-60 unit you will have to spend a ton of money on, they aint cheap thou... Moser makes a bullet proof 8-3/4" housing & axles...

Really nice SS!

I have one too!

2013-01-28_12-13-53_262.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-01-28_12-13-53_262.jpg
    2013-01-28_12-13-53_262.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 441
Welcome. Thats a sweet car. Looks like whovever put the motor in did a really clean job. I have a b body 8 3/4 housing and axles. Maybe even some backing plates im pretty sure. Not sure where you are in VA, but im in Baltimore. If you are interested shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone! Budnicks, looks like you've got a pretty nice Sport Satellite yourself! I honestly don't think I'd ever seen one before this one came up for sale locally, so I'm thinking they're a little bit rare nowadays.

As far as the rear end goes, I've been thinking it over and looking all over the internet and it seems like the S60 from Strange is really the way to go if I want to do it right. Of course, that takes $$$$$ I don't have right now, but I can probably swing it within the next 6 months or so. Just have to hold off on taking her to the strip until I get the rear end right. I'm curious about what gears I should run, regardless of whether I go with a 8 3/4 or 9 3/4. I was thinking 3.55 but then again, 3.91 might be better... No idea what gears came in the stock 8 1/4, 2.77 maybe? I guess I can jack the rear end up and try to figure it out by how many times the driveshaft turns and all that. It definitely feels like it needs some steeper gears back there though.

Welcome aboard! That is one great looking ride you have there!

Welcome...Congrat's on your first B-Body Mopar. Nice ride. An 8 3/4 will be more than enough for what you got there. Dana60 is a bit more beefy, but your wallet won't like it. Have fun!

Auto Transport Service
Back