• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 383 1969 coronet

jd02ram1500

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Coronet 440 Super Bee clone. Has a 70 383 holley 650 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, hedman headers, stock 2.76 or 3 gears, i wanna get 3.91s eventually. 727 auto... stock converter. Heres the problem. It has the 284,484 mopar purple cam in it. so you can imagine how it runs. put it in drive it falls on its face. and doesnt wanna idle. so now i have a 2500 stall converter that im gonna put in here soon. was that a good stall to pick? and the holley has been rebuilt but just doesnt seem to be doing the job.. so im thinking the 1407 edelbrock 750cfm. good idea? bad idea? let me know. im young and broke. plz keep that in mind. ha. Thanks everyone.

Huh, my 70 383 with that cam ran GREAT. I think I even had that same carb. I had a Torker intake and the stock converter. I did have to set the idle about every three days. It would slowly get faster, then after adjusting down, it would slowly get lower over about three days. Irritating, but not horrible. Except for the initial tuning after the rebuild, I don't remember that engine ever falling on it's face, unless the timing was way off. I had no name headers and 3:55 gears. Maybe a stouter gear would help.

EDIT: How did you install the cam? I remember having to drill out the sprocket and install an offset bushing in order to put it in proper time, as per the instructions.

WOW, after doing some research on cams for my 318, I discvered by accident tha there are TWO different 284/484 cams. One on a 108 center and one on a 106 center.

I'm pretty sure the one I had was on a 106, which is listed for oval track applications, while the 108 is listed as for drag.

That may be why mine ran so much better than everyone seems to think it should.

I also found out from my recent research that the narower the LSA, the earlier the intake opens and the better the cylinder pressure and torque peak.

Hmmmmm.

Auto Transport Service
Back