• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 B-bodies back in the day

Just tell them that the GTX is a B Body, while the GTO is only an A body. Which it was, for GM. :)

Nice. It's my 2nd favorite car. 1st Gen GTO. (That high school GTO of mine. was a '66.) When I got my first GTX? I never looked back to GM. But I do keep an eye out if a GTO comes along that is too good to pass up. Lol.

Today? While driving my 2nd GTX. The #1 question I have to explain. The difference between GTX and GTO. I of course have no problem talking with folks of the differences.

It's all good.
I know the differences.....like the GTX better over all :D

Today? While driving my 2nd GTX. The #1 question I have to explain. The difference between GTX and GTO. I of course have no problem talking with folks of the differences.

It's all good.

When I was moving, I had my 70 GTX on an open trailer and an older guy than me (I’m 50) started checking it out at a fuel stop. Mind you, it’s in primer and there’s no trim, bumpers, or emblems on it. He says “is that a 67?” I say “no, it’s a 70”. He looks puzzled and says “you sure”. I tell him “I’ve owned it for 30 years, I’m sure”. He tells me it’s a cool car and walks away. As I was pulling away, I tell my brother “ I bet he thought it was a GTO”. He agreed and we laughed. That dude was probably thinking I was an idiot.
Travis..

Yea, it was an upgrade from my 69 torino gt, 390 4 speed for sure.
I graduated from high school in 79.
I 'gradiated' in 69 and more or less grew up with these cars. Man, what a good time! The 69 road runner got car of the year by Motor Trend(?) and they were everywhere. For me, 69 was a year so fine and in so many ways! The only down side was Viet Nam :(
View attachment 1393351
Dog looking for spring windup and seeing if the pinion snubber is working...
Reminds me of a terrier that went everywhere I did. In 75 I had a 66 Mudstain Fastback with a mild 289 and 4 speed and she learned on to hang on lol but didn't like the tire smoke coming in the car. You could see the worried look on her face but once I said ''it's ok" and then drove out of the haze, she was fine. That car was perfect for her to ride in the back with the seat folded down and she could see out real easy. She also freaked out more than one car hop when she stuck her snout out from between the head rest and the C pillar lol. Yeah, the thing had aftermarket head rests that were in the car when I bought it but they looked good and were done right so I left them in.
That picture makes me think of
my experience with the Top of the Line Mancini pinion snubber I bought a few years ago, to help with lack of traction at the starting line to 60 ft for my warmed over 440 6bbl, 3 pedal 70 Roadrunner. I'm running a wide drag radial at 315/35/17, although the sidewalls are "short" compared to slicks or other 14 or 15" tires, they aren't rubber bands. Anyway, I bent the main beam of the snubber on my first launch, and on the second (and last) launch it bent enough to rub the pinion gear in the U-Joint area.
At first, I thought it was the snubber, but it's strong and a serious hunk of steel. I decided my leaf springs were shot, and bending enough to put too much force on the snubber.
Now I have Calvert split mono leaf springs and sliders with Assassin traction bars.
View attachment 1393380View attachment 1393381
Man, don't like the way snubbers act or feel! Rather use 'snug' traction bars that contact the spring eye and not behind it like all the aftermarket crap did. Pretty much had to make them custom but they worked great and didn't peel off the rubbers or break.

Man, don't like the way snubbers act or feel! Rather use 'snug' traction bars that contact the spring eye and not behind it like all the aftermarket crap did. Pretty much had to make them custom but they worked great and didn't peel off the rubbers or break.
Agreed! My best friend had the other, less expensive, not as precisely adjustable pinion snubber on his 383 4speed 70 Roadrunner in 79-83 or thereabouts. Mild "shadetree" mods. It helped him out, but all mine did was make me aware my leaf springs were weak.
I have the Assassin traction bars now and I love the quality and function.
I will really love it when I can finally get it on the race track to see what $10k in mods (not counting labor) bought me in performance!

tumblr_p1ydic8kqr1s3pgtho1_500.jpg

I 'gradiated' in 69 and more or less grew up with these cars. Man, what a good time! The 69 road runner got car of the year by Motor Trend(?) and they were everywhere. For me, 69 was a year so fine and in so many ways! The only down side was Viet Nam :(

Reminds me of a terrier that went everywhere I did. In 75 I had a 66 Mudstain Fastback with a mild 289 and 4 speed and she learned on to hang on lol but didn't like the tire smoke coming in the car. You could see the worried look on her face but once I said ''it's ok" and then drove out of the haze, she was fine. That car was perfect for her to ride in the back with the seat folded down and she could see out real easy. She also freaked out more than one car hop when she stuck her snout out from between the head rest and the C pillar lol. Yeah, the thing had aftermarket head rests that were in the car when I bought it but they looked good and were done right so I left them in.

I graduated in '79. These cars were then 10+ years old. And the only cars we could afford. The rich kids drove their newer vettes and Trans Ams. My older GTO and other muscle era cars that passed in and out of my garage would rain havic to their world. Lol. Fun times.

Just tell them that the GTX is a B Body, while the GTO is only an A body. Which it was, for GM. :)
That is true. But mostly talking the manufacturer differences. I'm also a firm believer that both Plymouth and Pontiac carried their parent companies thru what I consider the greatest manufacturer performance wars in US automotive history. The 1960s.

Ending with. "And today. What was the thanks they got?"

Lol.

ZomboDroid 19062022224442.jpg

Me after doing the first (and last) full quarter mile burnout at Meremere drag strip in 1989.

View attachment 1469699
@kiwigtx
Is that TorRed?
The red I really like, basically the only "old" or classic red Mopar color I really like is the actual RED color. It's just "my" thing, I don't like "orangie" reds.
BUT
One of the MOST stunning, like take my breath away gorgeous cars is a 70 GTX in "that red" REAL RED, and black with a black vinyl top.
The ONE color combo I prefer is..well...
20201008_164914.jpg
20201012_012434.jpg

Last edited:
@kiwigtx
Is that TorRed?
The red I really like, basically the only "old" or classic red Mopar color I really like is the actual RED color. It's just "my" thing, I don't like "orangie" reds.
BUT
One of the MOST stunning, like take my breath away gorgeous cars is a 70 GTX in "that red" REAL RED, and black with a black vinyl top.
The ONE color combo I prefer is..well...
My own locally mixed version of Vitamin C and HEMI orange.
Colour matched from two bolts that secured the trunk lid to the hinges.

In the 80's radials had been around long enough that they were reasonably common but somewhat expensive.

Bias could still be bought new and were cheaper.

IMO it was about 50/50.

I tried to run used Tiger Paw radials on my stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back