• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Charger VIN questions

bigtoyz

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Hoping to get a few answers to VIN/title questions. I recently found my 19 yr old sons dream car, a 1970 Charger. Bodywise, pretty good, Ive restored a lot tougher. Its minus alot of the little things but he still cant believe it is sitting in his garage. First we want to make a title for it and have located the VIN in the windshield in front of the driver side dash. His VIN is XH29GOGXXXXXX, 13 digits. I have typed it in on other VIN sites and it keeps coming back as needing 17 digits. What are we missing? This is the only ID infor we have for making a title but he would also like to find out what drivertrain/build site/model it is out of curiosity. Any suggestions where to start?
Thanks in advance.

Hoping to get a few answers to VIN/title questions. I recently found my 19 yr old sons dream car, a 1970 Charger. Bodywise, pretty good, Ive restored a lot tougher. Its minus alot of the little things but he still cant believe it is sitting in his garage. First we want to make a title for it and have located the VIN in the windshield in front of the driver side dash. His VIN is XH29GOGXXXXXX, 13 digits. I have typed it in on other VIN sites and it keeps coming back as needing 17 digits. What are we missing? This is the only ID infor we have for making a title but he would also like to find out what drivertrain/build site/model it is out of curiosity. Any suggestions where to start?
Thanks in advance.
The 17 digit VIN started in 1981. You need a site that recognizes older cars.

Oh, and WELCOME! We'd love to see your son's Charger on here.
If the fender tag under the hood is still present it would have the drivetrain info on it.
:)

Maybe go to the "welcome wagon" forum section, do an intro
share a couple of photos, back ground etc.

good luck

I haven’t had any luck searching 13 digit VIN’s either. It looks like your Charger was a 318 with a bench seat. Possibly buckets as an option.

X = Dodge - Charger
H = High price class
29 = 2 dr sport hardtop
G = 318 - 1-2bbl
O = 1970 model year
G = Built at St. Louis, MO

Last 6 number are the sequence number.

XH Chargers were a new model for 1970. They were sparsely optioned a base model designed to keep to cost down and make the Charger competitive with lower cost models from other manufacturers. This was the first time a bench front seat was available in a Charger verses the more expensive bucket seats. They also didn't come with the upper door pads instead the upper door and rear quarters were painted the color of the interior like Road Runners were. I love 70 Chargers. My parents bought an R/T SE brand new when I was a kid. It was our family car. I have a few of them myself. Good luck with the father/son project!

Thanks in advance.
Welcome aboard For B Bodies Only. Lots of great people here.

Also, another great website is the 1970 Dodge Charger Registry.
1970 Dodge Charger Registry

1970 Dodge Charger Registry

The Registry owner is also here on FBBO:
@Dodge Don

Last edited:
Try this:

1966 to 1974 Chrysler Corporation V.I.N. system decoding

but the option info is on the fender tag, driver side fender, under the hood, by the battery.

1663277779687.png

1970chargerregistry.com has a good fender tag / broadcast sheet decoder (the broadcast sheet MAY be under your back seat cushion)

1663277914482.png

but the net result is yes, you only have a 13 digit VIN, and that is the legit VIN for title work.

People are dumb sometimes. They only know what the computer lists as bein g true information.
I dealt with some dipshit at an auto parts store ....I forget what I was shopping for...This guy said "They didn't make a Charger in 1970".
Yeah....

Auto Transport Service
Back