• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Dodge Charger value with no title

cervag2004

Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
How we doing fellas need some advice I found a 1970 charger 383 auto that needs rear quarters and floors. Believed to have matching numbers drivetrain but Not running needs full resto. What the market on something like this I don’t know what to offer and I don’t want to affine the gentlemen. Also charger has no title but did check the vin and hasn’t been registered in about 24 years and not reported stolen. Any help would be greatly appreciated and as always mopar or no car. Here is a pic of the car.

CEAC4C2B-8677-4BD7-B4CE-2C8F1F7726C1.png

Offend?
The market is wide open on these cars. There are some crazy "asking" prices, that is for certain. I don't know how often the sellers get close to those prices. What used to be considered a stupid, delusional, greedy asking price just seems to keep showing up.
In 2019 I bought a wrecked '70 Charger that had been sitting for 24 years. I paid $5000 for mine. I had to replace everything from the firewall forward, rebuild the engine, install brakes front and rear, replace the trunk floor and install wiring. I now have around $10,000 in this car. It runs, drives, stops and steers just fine. It is mechanically sound but needs paint and interior work.

JF 7.JPG

JF 18.JPG

Regarding the title, that will vary from one state to another. Here in CA, there are actually numerous ways to transfer ownership and it is easier than I've heard it is in other states.
Texas is a great state from what I hear. You may have good luck. Maybe the state Department of Motor Vehicles has a website you can check?

Should not be hard to get title.
Hard to place value on one picture.
Perhaps $4,000 to $5,000 as a shot in
the Dark!

Most people think no title means it is worth less. Maybe a bit less than Research New & Used Car Prices prices, but it is a sellar's market as there are less cars that survive every year and everybody and thier dog wants one. The prices should jump again as all building supplies have sky rocketed with inflation as the Dollar is worth less.

For your state, look up bonded titles. Some states are better than others.

Bought a Vehicle Without a Title? | TxDMV.gov

Personally if I owned the car I would not sell as prices have not stopped rising for quite awhile now and should continue to go up. Money in the bank as available cars goes down through attrition.

1663481275534.jpeg

Last edited:
Does the car have the fender tag? Without that or a build sheet its hard to say how the car was equipped from the factory.

Does the car have the fender tag? Without that or a build sheet its hard to say how the car was equipped from the factory.
So? I see that as an opportunity to built it as you want... Freedom!!!

Title or not, even a 318/904 that needs floors and quarters... you're not getting it for under 15K. Heck, I've seen 2nd gen Chargers sitting in the woods, with a tree growing up through the engine bay that had bids near 10K. It's supply and demand.

If the fenders, hood, deck lid are rust free it's worth more than $5k just for those parts. Not saying it should be parted but for reference

Register in it Vermont. You can do it on the internet. You’ll get a title in the mail.

What is it worth to you? Desire inflates value. If a 2nd gen Charger came along, it'd have to be a real good price for me to purchase it because I've already got a '68. Now if a '69 Road Runner popped up, different story. I'd more than likely overlook a lot of problems and work needed and pay more than what it's actually worth.

There aren't many chances on "dream cars" that are affordable (ie resto it yourself) so what do you want to pay for it. Kinda how I bid at auctions. I set a max bid price based on what I'd feel comfortable spending on the item and don't look back. If I win it great. If not, maybe next time.

Good luck.

So? I see that as an opportunity to built it as you want... Freedom!!!
Probably should have mentioned that it will hurt the value of the car. Meaning you can't prove that the car is what it is. Other than the VIN. Options etc etc would be a best guess. I think the value of a car with no fender tag should bring the price down substantially. Unless you dont care about what options and don't plan on a perfect car then its worth what you are willing to pay. Paid 8K for the Roadrunner but it was solid and only needed a small patch panel in the rear quarter. Ran and drove with no interior. Was told when bought that the fender tag was available but 8 years later it still has not been produced. Soo I assume its on someones wall.

I might be the minority here, but Im not buying a 15k parts car. Im taking all the risk at full buying price. Unless something has changed in Indiana, where I live, I was told by DMV no bonded titles, no title services, no fresh registrations allowed. I dont know if the Vermont thing is included as I enquired several years ago. I would need a little bit of a price break.

Probably should have mentioned that it will hurt the value of the car. Meaning you can't prove that the car is what it is. Other than the VIN. Options etc etc would be a best guess. I think the value of a car with no fender tag should bring the price down substantially. Unless you dont care about what options and don't plan on a perfect car then its worth what you are willing to pay. Paid 8K for the Roadrunner but it was solid and only needed a small patch panel in the rear quarter. Ran and drove with no interior. Was told when bought that the fender tag was available but 8 years later it still has not been produced. Soo I assume its on someones wall.
The door isn’t drilled for the R/T scoops. So I think you could only make it worth more than if original.

Maybe a friend with a shop could put a mechanics lien on it?

Some states don’t issue titles for older cars - just registration papers I guess. My 66 Satellite did not come with a title, just registration. They didn’t bat an eye down at our tag office and issued me plates, registration and a new title. Now, not having a recent registration probably complicates it. If you buy it I would get a notarized statement from the owner saying the car has been off the road for X years and registration lapsed. And probably a good idea to check with your local DMV first to see what they say. I suspect State Police will have to look at it and run the VIN.

Should not be hard to get title.
Hard to place value on one picture.
Perhaps $4,000 to $5,000 as a shot in
the Dark!
Yeah, but, this guy will probably want 10k, or more. It is his car after all. I don't complain about the money that owners want to sell their cars for. The market dictates that.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back