• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX with cooled power steering punp

Mike Spano

Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
I have the 440 6pac power steering pump with the cooler fins. Well, after 50 years it finnally gave out. I can only find the regular power steering pump replacement or rebuilts. Does anyone know how I can go about getting a rebuilt or replacement matching pump. Not sure where the leak is yet but its pretty much unloading in about a half hour of driving. Does the cooler require separate rebuilding?

The cooler bolts on separately. After removing the cooler it is just like any other power steering unit, depending if it a Federal or Saginaw style pump. If it's the cooler leaking, it can be repaired.

Agree above. Any 1970 Saginaw BB steering pump will be the same, the cooler is added on. Now be sure check the return and pressure hoses, the pump may be fine. Find the leak point before saying the pump is bad.

The cooler bolts on separately. After removing the cooler it is just like any other power steering unit, depending if it a Federal or Saginaw style pump. If it's the cooler leaking, it can be repaired.
Thank you for helping

Agree above. Any 1970 Saginaw BB steering pump will be the same, the cooler is added on. Now be sure check the return and pressure hoses, the pump may be fine. Find the leak point before saying the pump is bad.
Thank you so much

Auto Transport Service
Back