• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner air grabber base plate question

Dave Pratt

Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
I remember reading about a company that produced a fiberglass air grabber base-plate but I can't find anything on it.If anyone has info on these can you drop me PM please.I've just rebuilt my 383 and added an Edelbrock DP4b intake but now I'm fighting a hood clearance problem.I was hoping to find one of these fiberglass items and cut the horn under the base-plate so I can gain some clearance...any help would be appreciated...Thanks

Dave

It's official...my air grabber hood fits like a glove with the Edelbrock DP4b...though I can't run any kind of carb spacer.I had a 1/4 inch spacer,more like a larger gasket to act as a heat barrier between intake and carb but it wouldn't fit.Yes,removing the gasket made things work.Now to see if an MSD Pro-Billet Distributor will fit?

Cool .. congrats Dave. Did you paint it or leave natural aluminum?

As Photon said, the 440 base is not as tall as the 383 since the RB blocks are taller than the B blocks. The only way Chrysler could reasonably adjust for it was to make different air grabber bases.

You may want to put the carb spacer back, especially since you may end up with vapor lock with today's fuels. If you have the budget for it, the 440 base is the way to go...

Tallhair I painted it all Hemi Orange,the aluminum water pump,the intake,basically tried to ,make it look as stock as possible.When it's all complete I'll post a build of the whole thing..

Dave

Auto Transport Service
Back