• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner build

70RRrestore

Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this forum, and prolly will have some questions along the way restoring my Roadrunner. This is a garage build father and son. single father grew me up in a bodyshop my whole life. Just found out My father was just diagnosed with a brain tumor, and God forbid anything to happen, but we agreed to do this one as possibly the last one we do together. I really am in shock, We mostly know chevys. New to mopar, (Also bought a 66 Nova recently )
About the Roadrunner, we purchased the car for a old man in Utah
(Im currently in Las Vegas) it's a 4-speed Car with the 833 trans and a non numbers matching 383. The previous owner pulled the motor back in 2001 and had it overhauled. 20 over and the whole 9 yards, Receipts on everything. I started by stripping the bay down with aircraft paint stripper and a wire wheel. In the process of getting the bay prepped for POR-15. QUESTION: I know Por 15 Is a good product but never did a bay with it. Any complaints? And when it comes to the motor, that's been sitting I beileive 14 years, sujest taken the heads back off?

Instasize_0929020553.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I would not use the POR 15. I would strip it and if the metal is nice and clean use a epoxy primer or a self etching primer on the bare metal. Then go with a 2K urethane primer. I really not like the look the POR 15 gives and I have also seen cases of it peeling off. Maybe that was poor prep work but any case I would rather use a primer.
If it needs blasting due to surface rust then go ahead and do that now to get it down to a good clean surface and start up from there.
As far as the engine goes personally I would pull it back apart to inspect everything, if all is well re-gasket it and go back together.
Good luck with your project and I wish you father all the best!
Matt

Thank you for the input, that's what I was pondering as well I'll do the suspension parts and floor pans, but the bay I'll prolly paint. I'll post some pics soon, what's a good degreaser, I'm reading oven cleaner in great to use?

Best of luck with the build. And mostly good health to your father.

Chuck

Good luck with the build, and good luck to your father.. Just remember its a Mopar so engine bay is painted body color, not black like Chevys.

Good luck with the build, and good luck to your father.. Just remember its a Mopar so engine bay is painted body color, not black like Chevys.

Thanks, didn't even know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe someone can help me decode the fender tag, I decoded the vin already it's a RM21 (coupe) car built in Detroit

IMAG0374.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Working on stripping the bay down with paint stripper and a wire wheel like I said. Cars been painted 3 times original red green then orange

View attachment 279725

Last edited:
Nothing like a father and son project to bond even closer together. I wish the very best for your father and his illness. Enjoy your project you've got a great car to work on. The 70 RR is a sweet one.

Nothing like a father and son project to bond even closer together. I wish the very best for your father and his illness. Enjoy your project you've got a great car to work on. The 70 RR is a sweet one.

Thank you X, building cars is something my father and I have been doing since I was a kid, mostly new repairables, but this shouldn't be to hard.

Welcome from Michigan, you picked a great Mopar to restore. Hope things turn out well with dad.

Good luck to your Dad, hope he makes it. 70 RR is my alltime favorite car. Have not owned one lately. Just Google fender tag decode.

There's a lot of good info on this page, you want to browze around there some

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

If you don't have, at least download a free shop manual from MyMopar as well as other good info. "Watch them" on files that are not Mopar original, such as casting no. lists, some of that info is wrong.

Also the parts book is there, which is hard to deal with LOL.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

So far as the fender tag just google "fender tag decode" and similar, you'll find sites. SOME of that is in the front pages of the shop manual

Good luck to your Dad, hope he makes it. 70 RR is my alltime favorite car. Have not owned one lately. Just Google fender tag decode.

There's a lot of good info on this page, you want to browze around there some

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

If you don't have, at least download a free shop manual from MyMopar as well as other good info. "Watch them" on files that are not Mopar original, such as casting no. lists, some of that info is wrong.

Also the parts book is there, which is hard to deal with LOL.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

So far as the fender tag just google "fender tag decode" and similar, you'll find sites. SOME of that is in the front pages of the shop manual

Yeah need to get a service Manuel, thank you on the links, Ya this RR is definitely a nice mopar. We will be working on getting this running and driving first then start with everything

Hi everyone, new to this forum, and prolly will have some questions along the way restoring my Roadrunner. This is a garage build father and son. single father grew me up in a bodyshop my whole life. Just found out My father was just diagnosed with a brain tumor, and God forbid anything to happen, but we agreed to do this one as possibly the last one we do together. I really am in shock, We mostly know chevys. New to mopar, (Also bought a 66 Nova recently )
About the Roadrunner, we purchased the car for a old man in Utah
(Im currently in Las Vegas) it's a 4-speed Car with the 833 trans and a non numbers matching 383. The previous owner pulled the motor back in 2001 and had it overhauled. 20 over and the whole 9 yards, Receipts on everything. I started by stripping the bay down with aircraft paint stripper and a wire wheel. In the process of getting the bay prepped for POR-15. QUESTION: I know Por 15 Is a good product but never did a bay with it. Any complaints? And when it comes to the motor, that's been sitting I beileive 14 years, sujest taken the heads back off?

View attachment 279724

i've used Master Series on all my cars. it is impressively STRONG!

Auto Transport Service
Back