• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Runner sail panel install

elliskev2

Local time
1:20 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am installing my first headliner into my 70 Road Runner. So far so good, but I have been searching the web and message boards for information and photos of how the sail panels are installed. Do the sail panels go behind the headliner for 1970 or in front with the material glued to the sail panel? Unfortunately the originals were long gone. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

On my 69 the sail panels go over the headliner. Headliner was stretched over some teeth on a bracket that they sail panel went over. Front and bottom edge were double side taped to the back of the boar and the top edge was stretched over teeth and covered with the rear window trim. Not sure if 70 is different.

There are a couple slide in clips that guide the sail panel in place, then it is screwed in a couple places with trim screws, which are visible when the install is done.

There are a couple slide in clips that guide the sail panel in place, then it is screwed in a couple places with trim screws, which are visible when the install is done.
Thank you. I checked it out a little closer tonight and found where it fastens in. I think I got it. :thumbsup:

On my 69 the sail panels go over the headliner. Headliner was stretched over some teeth on a bracket that they sail panel went over. Front and bottom edge were double side taped to the back of the boar and the top edge was stretched over teeth and covered with the rear window trim. Not sure if 70 is different.
Thank you. I checked it out a little closer tonight and found where it fastens in. I think I got it. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back