• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Satellite was single chamber now dual still need proportioning valve?

johneich

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
I am just buying parts for my mechanic to do rear drum brakes, I am a bit out of my league here. Originally a 70 Satellite with a single chamber manual front drum rear drum has had front discs and a dual chamber booster conversion.
Question 1) Is the proportioning valve still needed or even harmful? Did I have a proportioning valve originally?, I think all single chambers had to have one.
OK, 2 questions but all related.
Question 2) my appointment is Friday, I bought everything new for the rears, , but forgot the front to back hard lines, is a coiled line, available locally (NAPA) flared at the ends acceptable? Summit has them in stock but they bend them 180 degrees to fit them into a 4 foot box, I am a little leery of that. Should I have Summit ship Right Stuff Detailing Front to Rear Brake Line to me on Monday? Might 41 years sitting hard lines be any good with a good bleeding?

Side notes, I bought a kit of (2) springs, parts and such, 2 cylinders and 4 shoes, rubber hose and parking cable. I measured my drums, inside to inside at about exactly 10 inches, so it probably had fairly new drums before it was parked in 1981.
Pictures just because I know you guys like pics :) nothing to do with this matter(s) (3rd and 4th pic are warnings about hidden rear subframe rust to the knowledgeable eye, PO told me "just trunk pans needed"(in the trunk area) :) I have to laugh or I would cry, was about an unexpected cost of $7,000.00, parts and labor, I hope this might help someone else out, that rust seeps to the top of the sub frame without rusting out the bottoms of the frame rails, because of the holes in the bottom of the sub frame, I think. I like to give back to the forum :) On the plus side, the whole rear end is new except for the trunk lid, valance and right quarter extension.

John

s1.jpg

DSCN0008.JPG

Trunk 2.jpg

Trunk pan.jpg

K-frame, Borgeson steering and disc system installed.jpg

Discs on much work.jpg

Your car would of had a dual reservoir master cylinder from day one,after 1966 all vehicles were mandated to have dual reservoir master cylinders

Thanks, my memory says single but my memory is not that good :) Old mechanic disposed of it, after I asked him to return all parts.

Did I have a proportioning valve? and do I still need one with the disc brake conversion?

Did I have a proportioning valve? and do I still need one with the disc brake conversion?

You will want one with the front disc conversion to prevent rear wheel lockup when braking. You'd have originally had a "distribution block" with 4 wheel drums and not a proportioning valve. Dr. Diff sells one. More pressure to fronts where all the weight is, and less to rear.

On my 69 Charger it was 4 wheel drum and now 4 wheel disc. Wilwood front and Ford SVO motorsports rear. I used a stock distribution block. Cass Dr. Diff supplied the Dana 60 rear with the disc set up. I used the master and mount plate he recommended. Mine are manual brakes. The car stops great. Cass said try it that way and if needed later install an adjustable rear valve if needed. My pedal is right on top and stops with little effort.

Auto Transport Service
Back