• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Super Bee/Coronet Rear Trim Panel Nuts

archangel

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
What type of nuts did the factory use to secure the rear trim panel on a 1970 Super Bee or Coronet. A picture of originals would be appreciated.

Context: I believe that my Bee had been rear ended early in it's life and the rear trim panel was replaced with one for a Coronet using non-original mounting hardware. I am swapping it out for the correct Super Bee style (red line + Super Bee emblem). I have a near complete set of original threaded mounting studs but no original nuts.

Could you post a picture of the mounting studs? I'm in search of a set.

Probably just Pal Nuts. Those are very common on trim parts especially parts that are cast aluminum or pot metal.
1716571832858.png

Did they have some sort of sealer in the cup portion?

I will post some pics of the factory studs later this weekend.

Here are some pictures of what I believe to be one of the factory studs. This is one of the two longer studs that anchor the top ends of the trim panel. I will have more examples to compare to later this week and will update my findings.

20240526_163941 - Copy.jpg

20240526_164022 - Copy.jpg

20240526_164059 - Copy.jpg

20240526_162444 - Copy.jpg

20240526_162607 - Copy.jpg

20240526_162754 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an example of both lengths used. 2 long, 13 short are required. The shorter one is exactly the same as the longer with the exception of stud length. All of them should have the rubber donut seal. The one in the picture is compressed and dried out.

I am hoping to make some all Mopar show-n-shines this summer to put eyeballs on '70 Super Bee/Coronet trunks (panel stud nuts). I am striving for the factory look. Even with Pal nuts there are different styles.

Trim Panel Studs.jpg

Were taillight finish panels simply bolted onto the rear of the car, metal-on-metal? That's what it would seem, but you'd think a gasket would be better.

They are not plain pal nuts, but they will work. They are actually acorn nuts long style. Let me try and find a photo.

Were finish panels bolted directly onto the painted metal? I don't remember removing any gasket or interface material when removing my '70 Charger finish panel. It seems a gasket would be ideal to prevent scratching and water from getting into the trim clip screw holes.

Here is an example of both lengths used. 2 long, 13 short are required. The shorter one is exactly the same as the longer with the exception of stud length. All of them should have the rubber donut seal. The one in the picture is compressed and dried out.

I am hoping to make some all Mopar show-n-shines this summer to put eyeballs on '70 Super Bee/Coronet trunks (panel stud nuts). I am striving for the factory look. Even with Pal nuts there are different styles.

View attachment 1671663

Thanks for the pictures, I'm going to use it to start a WTB thread. I need some for my 70 Coronet rear finish panel. If you know where to get some let me know.

More findings to back up what has already been said. Based on the factory parts manual all 15 are the same, P/N 6028399. Note that the acorn nuts are not the same as those used on the side marker lights when speaking of the '70 Coronet/Super Bee, P/N 6027625. Guessing maybe that they are a different size. Yes, as you can see from my previously posted pictures there is a washer on the stud. Hard to tell but my theory is that it was a mastic washer. Also some pictures of them in situ. (The 2 b/w pics are from my David Wise B Body 66-70 Dodge Ref Manual...I only stumbled upon them this past weekend while looking at the Trunk section for something else.)

8291584-image.jpg

20240610_094941 - Copy.jpg

20240610_095057 - Copy.jpg

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I'm missing all of those acorn nuts for my '70 Charger taillight finish panel (and some of the trim clips, some were badly rusted). Is there a place that I can buy them, or a substitute?

RPM Reproduction Parts in Saskatchatoon, Canada doesn't appear to have them in their catalog...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back