• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 V code 1 of 1 Super track pack petty blue road runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been kind and supportive. We think you have a cool car. You'd be better off NOT having a Petty Blue color but some other color more rare than Petty Blue. Where's the problem? You have a 70 RR 440-6 four speed in a, possibly, unique color. Seems like tons of upside even if it isn't Petty Blue.

VIN order means nothing as the VIN and VON was an administrative assignment; not a sequential built. Cars with sequential VINs could have been painted days apart.

C37D is the accepted paint code for Petty Blue. Why does your car have a different paint code if it is Petty Blue?

Broadcast sheets and tags don't lie either.

I agree with Doug.

No one is dissing your car, but as stated you have the burden of proof to show it is an original Petty Blue car. I can't tell from you picture of the paint under the Sublime that it is in fact Petty Blue. How do you know their isn't another color under the Blue?

Regardless, if it really WAS Petty blue and someone wanted to take it back to that it would be about a $15K job to strip it and repaint it, so I see no "value" in it being Petty Blue OR what ever color it was originally. In fact, for the numbers matching crowd it is DEFINATELY the wrong color as a Sublime car because Chrysler had a paint code for that so it is just wrong.

Doug,
Did you see C250 on the BS like the FT? My 60 year old eyes without my contacts in are not seeing it but I did not look on all lines. I would have expected it to be in the remarks area at the bottom of the sheet but there is nothing there.

I agree with Doug.

Doug,
Did you see C250 on the BS like the FT?

Yes. It's under the usual place for paint style. Pic two shows the same are of the BS from a Petty Blue SB.

Attachments

• 250_600.jpg
    250_600.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 935
  • 37D_600.jpg
    37D_600.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 949
So they put it under PAINT STYLE I wonder what they would have done if the customer would have ordered a 999 with a two tone?

Excuse me for a moment

and the best funkiest body style , I think the 70 plymouth and the 70 coronets the the best body stylings ever
:protest:

I agree on the paints being funky and cool and industry leading.

BUT; beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i behold that the 69 sats and nets were some how a more distinctive and graceful flowing body style. so there, take that.:headbang:

drmopar; sorry, i was not trying to hi-jack you. very nice car and good luck on sale.

Last edited:
:protest:

I agree on the paints being funky and cool and industry leading.

BUT; beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i behold that the 69 sats and nets were some how a more distinctive and graceful flowing body style. so there, take that.:headbang:

drmopar; sorry, i was not trying to hi-jack you. very nice car and good luck on sale.

LOL to each there own if we all liked the same thing we would all be drive a stupid camaro LOL

Hmmm, just curious. My 1970 Belvedere 4 door is definitely Petty Blue and has a 999 paint code, but the fender tag is from St. Louis I believe.
How would you document this car as Petty blue if it didn't have its original paint?

Hmmm, just curious. My 1970 Belvedere 4 door is definitely Petty Blue and has a 999 paint code, but the fender tag is from St. Louis I believe.
How would you document this car as Petty blue if it didn't have its original paint?

The only way to determine the original color from the factory is to find an untouched portion of the paint during the repaint. Look under the package tray or behind the kick panels. These places also were not subject to the sunlight and will not be faded. Now, you have to have it color matched at a paint store to determine the paint formula (what colors of the spectrum and in what amounts) cross reference to an original paint code to see what auto manufacturers CALLED it. Then you have to remember that some auto makers had the same color that were called different names.

Not so easy and confusing isn't it?

Tough crowd here. Petty Blue or not, this is a 999 paint code, matching numbers, 4spd, V-code. Really nice car.
Would like to have it. Just find it a bit too much for me in this market. Been to a few Mecum auctions and seen some very nice restos roll across and some are real bargins. Although not too many matching V-code, 4spd, Mopars.

LOL to each there own if we all liked the same thing we would all be drive a stupid camaro LOL

kind of fond of the 68 plymouth desrt chickens or 69 dodge bees myself...

:grin:

even thought my car is a 69 RR.

I like the round side markers of the 68 and the tail pan section/tail lights of the 68.

oh, and for what it's worth, I'm totally buying the petty blue thing.

Especially since you are finding it on the car in untouched areas.

have you tried lifting any glued on weatherstripping? like trunk seal?

Another good spot to look would be roof rail under the stainless piece that holds the side window top weatherstripping.

Conversely, without documentation, how do you know it is Petty Blue? It could be the same color as the car posted by the OP. It could be something close to, but not quite, Petty Blue. The only thing we can document and state for a fact is the car was painted a non standard color.

Price dropped to $52000. Must sell.

Does anyone have a picture of a 70 RR that's painted Petty Blue? Not a Superbird, a RR. Even if its not original.

Does anyone have a picture of a 70 RR that's painted Petty Blue? Not a Superbird, a RR. Even if its not original.

Here are the problems with what you are asking. Just asking for people to post cars in this color (or what they think is correct) will get you so many variations that they will not look at all like the same colors.

1. Computer monitors vary in how they show the color.

2. Lighting when the pictures are taken can make a BIG difference on the
same car on the same day.

3. Cars painted per the factory color formula numbers have changed greatly
over the years ESPECIALLY with the new base coat/clear coat paints.
Many don't even begin to resemble the original color. Ask me how I know.

If you want to see what the REAL color of Petty blue looked like when it was sprayed new you first have to find someone (likely a NASCAR enthuesiest that is into these old cars from back in the day) that knows the correct paint number/name for whatever Petty had the cars painted back in the day. Then you have to find a paint shop that has the old original in-the-day-books with the paint chips for the correct paint number/name for the Petty color.

OR

If you are lucky enough to come across a car that was a KNOWN original Petty blue car that still has traces of it in areas that have never been subjected to the sunlight. How do you confirm a REAL Petty blue car? You would have to have some kind of dealership paperwork for the car indicating that it was special ordered as Petty blue.

As you can see, with any car painted from the factory with a 999 paint code you will have the same problem as 999 means it could be painted ANY color you wanted. Proving what it was is quite another.

Awesome car. awesome discussion. It's interesting to see all the details that go into this... certainly a rare car and worth some $$$
honestly though, this is why I bought a non-numbers matching car. I can do whatever I want to it and it's still bad ***. #'s matching cars are cool, but for the average guy it makes no sense. cheaper and more fun to do whatever you want right? and more enjoyable when I can drive it whenever I want.
But anyways, I guess that's a different side of the hobby. I always believed that cars like this with an odd story is what made them worth so much.
Good luck with the sale!

Here are the problems with what you are asking. Just asking for people to post cars in this color (or what they think is correct) will get you so many variations that they will not look at all like the same colors.

1. Computer monitors vary in how they show the color.

2. Lighting when the pictures are taken can make a BIG difference on the
same car on the same day.

3. Cars painted per the factory color formula numbers have changed greatly
over the years ESPECIALLY with the new base coat/clear coat paints.
Many don't even begin to resemble the original color. Ask me how I know.

If you want to see what the REAL color of Petty blue looked like when it was sprayed new you first have to find someone (likely a NASCAR enthuesiest that is into these old cars from back in the day) that knows the correct paint number/name for whatever Petty had the cars painted back in the day. Then you have to find a paint shop that has the old original in-the-day-books with the paint chips for the correct paint number/name for the Petty color.

OR

If you are lucky enough to come across a car that was a KNOWN original Petty blue car that still has traces of it in areas that have never been subjected to the sunlight. How do you confirm a REAL Petty blue car? You would have to have some kind of dealership paperwork for the car indicating that it was special ordered as Petty blue.

As you can see, with any car painted from the factory with a 999 paint code you will have the same problem as 999 means it could be painted ANY color you wanted. Proving what it was is quite another.

All good explanations and I fully understand. Having said that, I'm still curious to see a pic of a 70 RR in Petty Blue. Even if it's a crappy pic. If it's not something someone has, it's cool. The car that's for sale is killer nonetheless. Wish I had the cheddar to buy it. Sorry for getting off topic.

hmmm... saw this car at this very location but you had a very different story about it's history. You were processing alot of cars at that time too ???

Ok, the info i just saw at the 999/petty blue/corporate blue registry had a link to an internal document from chrysler explaining that c37d was the code for corporate blue not petty blue. I would post the link, but im doing this on my phone and have no way to copy and paste. I couldnt find anything on C250, perhaps thats the true code for petty blue.

Is that Brennan Cook's site, or something new?

If new, what's the site address? Thanks.

Yes. Brennan R. Cook. Not sure why i said registry, sorry for any confusion.
Try these

Http:/brcook.com/id28.html

Http:/www.aerowarriors.com/cda/cda_110469.html

Interesting discussion and a cool car. And the discussion is keeping his for sale ad bumped! My friend has a 68RR that has GG1 paint code on the car and at the last minute, the original owner changed the paint color to white. He bought the car in 87 and was the 3rd owner. We documented the teardown and put the car back in to white paint but every supposed expert checks the codes and tells us it's wrong!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back