• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-1972 Roadrunners hitting the market for crazy prices!!!

Ritchie Valens

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
MyRR.jpeg

1971 In-Violet, white top, 383 with Air Grabber Hood, 4 speed Hurst pistol grip with white interior bucket seats and Gull-Wing.

Hey Guys, wanting to see what you guys think... I'm a proud yet humble owner of a non-project 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner (I added photo of my RR). And, as many of us do, I frequently go window shopping to see what the independent market looks like... mostly on FB Marketplace, Ebay and Craigslist.

First of all, it's not normal to see 71-72 roadrunners on sale that often. But lately, there has been an influx of non-project roadrunners hitting the market. I just checked Ebay and they have several 1971 roadrunners for sale with prices ranging from $70,000 to $90,000 and then they have a few 1972 roadrunners for sale with prices ranging from $50,000 to $70,000. I know asking and getting are two different things, but it seems like everyone is asking high!

And there are even some project roadrunners with strong pricing. What do you guys think is going on with these prices? Is this normal or...? Because I don't want to sell my roadrunner but dang, it gets tempting when if they start selling for big prices!

Last edited:
I was 15 (around 1998-99) and saw a 72 Plymouth Road Runner for sale parked outside on someone's grass, I begged my mom to stop so I could look at it. Orange with a 440, the price was 6,500. That car was all I ever thought about for a very long time the price was way out of my reach. We didn't have money as my parent's daily driver and only car was a $200 beater. I would save change in a jar thinking I could eventually buy it, after a year and a half of saving reality set in. I bought 77 f-fun50 for $500.

Nice In-Voilet 71 RR Richie :thumbsup:

yep the more affordable years are starting to get big $$$
or asking big $$$ anyway
if done nice

Check this out on Hemmings: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/gtx/2634637.html

142K for a standard 71 GTX. Nice car, but wow! I'll probably test the market with my V code 71 in the spring time. Think I want to do something different. In no way did I think of a price like this guy is asking and mine is a very nice real deal car. I see alot of 71-72's going for a ton more money. But if you factor in inflation, well? Just think what the 71 Hemi GTX's are going for!

Check this out on Hemmings: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/gtx/2634637.html

142K for a standard 71 GTX. Nice car, but wow! I'll probably test the market with my V code 71 in the spring time. Think I want to do something different. In no way did I think of a price like this guy is asking and mine is a very nice real deal car. I see alot of 71-72's going for a ton more money. But if you factor in inflation, well? Just think what the 71 Hemi GTX's are going for!
2 years ago at a Mecum auction city, the 71 Hemi GTX, 4 speed car that i used to own for 28 years, didn't sell at that owners estimated price of $325,000 - $350,000.
How many are left from the 30 total, i don't know.
What can one get in 2023 for one, if one comes up for sale.
Who knows.

Are Road Runners worth more than 71-72 Chargers?
Depends on what model Charger you are comparing to.

Since a 71-72 Road Runner was a factory muscle car, one would certainly be worth more than a grocery getter Charger.

All Road Runners were muscle cars? No 318/904 Road Runners?

Generally the Plymouths bring more than the Chargers. A 71 Hemi RR brings more than a 71 Hemi Charger. Actually a true 71 Hemi RR can bring more than a 68-70 Hemi B but a 71 383 RR won't.

All Road Runners were muscle cars? No 318/904 Road Runners?
We’re talking 71-72 here. So yes. The Road Runner was a factory muscle car. Charger, sans performance packages, was not. Sorry if that hurts someone’s feelings. I dig them all but I’m not buying into a blanket comparison between “71-72 Charger and Road Runner”. It’s apples and oranges.

It's whatever the market will bare and how bad you think you need it. That's when stupid meets more stupid and then, most stupid. Money talks and bullshit walks.

2 years ago at a Mecum auction city, the 71 Hemi GTX, 4 speed car that i used to own for 28 years, didn't sell at that owners estimated price of $325,000 - $350,000.
How many are left from the 30 total, i don't know.
What can one get in 2023 for one, if one comes up for sale.
Who knows.
As a friend who deals in used cars
is prone to say...."There's an *** for
every seat." It all depends on what the
market will bare. Alligator eyes have
a tendency to over rule a humming
bird ***.
I've a tendency to believe the push for
EV's is starting to have an effect on
nostalgic true muscle car's values,
and the urgency to own one before
the pool dries up.
We're a dieing breed.
It's not only Mopars that command
the higher prices.
Hang on to what you have.

Last edited:

That's BA-NA-NAS bro! But, it's also a great looking ride.

I was 15 (around 1998-99) and saw a 72 Plymouth Road Runner for sale parked outside on someone's grass, I begged my mom to stop so I could look at it. Orange with a 440, the price was 6,500. That car was all I ever thought about for a very long time the price was way out of my reach. We didn't have money as my parent's daily driver and only car was a $200 beater. I would save change in a jar thinking I could eventually buy it, after a year and a half of saving reality set in. I bought 77 f-fun50 for $500.
Hey Dana, you and I are roughly the same age. I was 18 in 1998-1999... and you're right, I also remember muscle cars from 68-74 going for the price you mentioned. I had my eyes on a B5 Blue SS Chevy Chevelle for $7,000... way out go my reach. But that's my point, no one was paying those prices back then. I dunno man, I think it is an up-down market... but I don't think it will ever go dry just cause of electric cars. That's just my opinion. But, at the same time, I'm in no hurry to get rid of my car. No way- no sir!

As a friend who deals in used cars
is prone to say...."There's an *** for
every seat." It all depends on what the
market will bare. Alligator eyes have
a tendency to over rule a humming
bird ***.
I've a tendency to believe the push for
EV's is starting to have an effect on
nostalgic true muscle car's values,
and the urgency to own one before
the pool dries up.
We're a dieing breed.
It's not only Mopars that command
the higher prices.
Hang on to what you have.
Hey 1STMP, you could be right about the EV market slowing down the classic market a bit, but I don't think it will we are a dying breed!! I think I'm on the younger side of the pack because most of my classic car buddies are late 50s early 60s. I'm 42 years old, and I can tell ya, there is a lot of us out there! More than you might think. But I agree with you... because it will be a cold day in hell when I put a "For Sale" sign on it. As a matter of fact, my generation is waiting on you guys to start letting go! It's the only way to keep MOPARS hot brotha!!! Oh, and as you can see, chicks most definitely still love muscle cars. Very much so! Especially La Bamba Machine! Yes, I fell in love with this car because of an amazing child memory... but we have to circulate these cars back out into the market.... you go first amigo!!!

My71RR.jpeg

LaBambaRide.jpeg

Generally the Plymouths bring more than the Chargers. A 71 Hemi RR brings more than a 71 Hemi Charger. Actually a true 71 Hemi RR can bring more than a 68-70 Hemi B but a 71 383 RR won't.
If you go by the VIN, in ‘71 the “Charger” became a 2 door Coronet. First letter “W”, as opposed to “X”.

Auto Transport Service
Back