• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 6.1L Charger Superbee

In all honesty, your customer would be better off using the 545rfe truck trans. It is also a 5 spd auto and will bolt up to the 6.1, and its more user friendly to us late model swappers cause of the simplicity of the harness and NO WHEEL SPEED SENSORS OR ABS OR B.S needed to make it work properly. Sharadon Performance has alot of stuff for this trans, or if your customer is dead set on the NAG1 (it's called that for a reason, get it) call hotwireauto and talk to Tony or Chris, they can be a tremendous help.

The NAG1 swaps are a nightmare, we finally started working with a company that offers a standalone tranny controller, that get the job done well, but adds additional cost. The Nag1 is a great small transmission that requires minimum modification to fit compared to the 545RFE. 545RFE most cost effective by far

Won't a 904 bolt up to this engine? I heard they do, but, I have no idea as I've never done this swap.

Won't a 904 bolt up to this engine? I heard they do, but, I have no idea as I've never done this swap.

A 727 will. But the owner wants a 5 speed auto.

Been talking to Hot Wire Auto. I need to make a call to Chris to discuss it further. They have already said they will help with the engine/trans and the factory harness/computers, but they will not get into the accessories.

I am really thinking at this point to sell the trans he has and get the truck trans to simplify this.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully this not only helps me and the owner, but future builds!

In all honesty, your customer would be better off using the 545rfe truck trans. It is also a 5 spd auto and will bolt up to the 6.1, and its more user friendly to us late model swappers cause of the simplicity of the harness and NO WHEEL SPEED SENSORS OR ABS OR B.S needed to make it work properly. Sharadon Performance has alot of stuff for this trans, or if your customer is dead set on the NAG1 (it's called that for a reason, get it) call hotwireauto and talk to Tony or Chris, they can be a tremendous help.

Why doesn't the B-Body forum have the "Thanks" feature that the A-Body forum does?? Thanks Hemi!

Cool Project! I have a 1971 Dodge Charger that I would like to make into a R/T clone. I am interested in a 6.1 conversion. Please update as much as possible on your progress.

Did ya notice this thread is a year old and no updates since??? Wonder whats going on myself!

If you need help with your conversion don't be afraid to shoot me a text!
I've had mine done since 2005, and have a ton of notes and pointers that will help all you guys out!

Nice build!

The NAG1 is a pain to swap - if he wants a 5-speed auto why not just sell the NAG and drop in a 727 with a GV unit.

I see the OP hasn't been back in a while but LXmodguy has a way to control the nag1 and provide wheel speed setups.

Auto Transport Service
Back