• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger Super Bee, my first B-Body

MoparGuy68

Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I first registered on the site about 8 months ago, but this is my formal introduction. I used to own a couple Challengers, a long time ago. I sold my last Challenger on Thanksgiving weekend of 1998. After two decades of being without a vintage Mopar muscle car (or any classic car for that matter), I was longing to get one again. Had been looking around for a car to fill the void (for a couple years..), when I came across this 1971 Charger Super Bee. When I discovered that the scheduled build date for the Super Bee was the exact same build date as my last car, a 1971 Dodge Challenger, I figured I found the right car for me. I bought the Super Bee on Thanksgiving weekend, and it arrived at my garage yesterday.

This is my first Charger, and my first B-Body. She's a factory 383 Magnum, Citron Yella, N96 Ramcharger car.

She's got several issues that need to be resolved, before she's ready to hit the road. Firstly, she is bleeding power steering fluid badly through one of the seals. I got a replacement PS gearbox that was included with the car. I need to ID that gearbox to confirm it is correct for 1971. Then the plan is to have it rebuilt, with the firm feel modification, by Benchwork Steering Systems in Scottsdale.

Benchwork doesn't do installations, and I'm not able to change out the gearbox on my own, so I'm looking for a shop, preferably close by in Scottsdale, that knows these cars well and could swap the gearboxes for me. The car has long tube headers on it, so removal of the driver side torsion bar will probably be the best option for getting the old box out and the rebuilt one in. The headers don't leak and I'd rather not disturb them.

I'm open for any suggestions from you guys on a reputable shop, in Scottsdale or Phoenix, that is up to the task. I've got to get this steering box leak fixed before I can do anything else, and there is quite a list of stuff to do after that.. I thought I could get some input from you guys, to help me tackle this and the other problems, so I can get this Bee back into good driving condition.

CitronBee1.jpg CitronBee2.jpg CitronBee3.jpg CitronBee4.jpg PSGearbox1.jpg PSGearbox2.jpg

g'day from Australia :welcome:, looking good :thumbsup:

is that a Mr Norms sticker I see

Beautiful ride. Congrats.

Welcome, you have good taste in cars!!

71bee142 (Large).JPG

NICE! and welcome from Michigan...:thumbsup:

Hello and Welcome from Connecticut! :welcome:. Beautiful and rare ride. Here's another one with a HEMI.

cool 71 Super Bee/RT Charger

sorry I don't know any shops in that area to do the rebuild for you
I don't know of any close to me either

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

maybe a post in the suspension & or steering forum section
or general discussion section may get a few more useful responses

we have some really helpful & knowledgeable members here
that may be able to walk/help/advise you thru it too

good luck

Thanks for the welcome guys!

@RJS I remember seeing your car in a post on the forum this past spring. I was the guy asking about verifying hidden headlights back then. Our cars were both built at the LA plant. Mine was built 2 months before yours. What size wheels and tires do you currently have on yours? Are your Rallye wheels reproduction or vintage? Mine are 14x6 (I believe vintage, not repro, but not original to the car) with 245/60/14 tires. Tires are OLD and need to be replaced. I'm thinking of possibly getting a set of repro 15x7 Rallye wheels. I had 15x7 steel wheels, dog dish caps and 245/60/15 Goodyear Eagle ST tires on my 71 Challenger. Back then there was a much larger selection of 14/15 inch tires to choose from.

@polywideblock Yes, the sticker on the rear is Grand Spaulding Dodge. The car was bought new in CA though. It has been repainted once, by a previous owner, and he put the sticker on it.

@fc7_plumcrazy I saw some videos, of what I believe is your car, on Youtube this past summer. What plant was yours built at?

@Budnicks Thanks for your suggestions. I'll probably be posting in different areas of the forum regarding the various issues I will need to fix.

"@RJS I remember seeing your car in a post on the forum this past spring. I was the guy asking about verifying hidden headlights back then. Our cars were both built at the LA plant. Mine was built 2 months before yours. What size wheels and tires do you currently have on yours? Are your Rallye wheels reproduction or vintage? Mine are 14x6 (I believe vintage, not repro, but not original to the car) with 245/60/14 tires. Tires are OLD and need to be replaced. I'm thinking of possibly getting a set of repro 15x7 Rallye wheels. I had 15x7 steel wheels, dog dish caps and 245/60/15 Goodyear Eagle ST tires on my 71 Challenger. Back then there was a much larger selection of 14/15 inch tires to choose from."

My rallyes are factory wheels 15x7 but my car I was told by PO came with 14x6 rallyes best he could tell (no broadcast sheet from LA plant) I have G 60-15 Goodyears front and L 60-15 Goodyears rear. Hope this helps.
Ron

Thanks for the welcome guys!

@fc7_plumcrazy I saw some videos, of what I believe is your car, on Youtube this past summer. What plant was yours built at?

I haven't made any videos off it.
Probably Jakobs old car. But it has a half canopy roof and no Ramchargerhood.

Mine was buillt at Lynch Road, Detroit. WM23N1A112xxx

Carsten

Auto Transport Service
Back