• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 GTX hood springs

Gary Masse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1971 GTX with the standard hood and would like to know the dimensions of the hood springs and how many coils it has. Mine are ether weak or the wrong ones. Mine have 19 coils and do not allow the hood to drop at the back when it closes correctly.

I checked my 71 Roadrunner, which should have the same hood. Coil spring diameter is right at 2”. The spring wire size measured at 0.232” (note includes the paint thickness). I counted 18 coil wraps.
Ron
B5C315CC-6D8B-4A42-A069-9891B94C4EEB.jpeg
5CC3C576-450C-4EDB-9A65-DED960B95383.jpeg

Thanks thats what I have in the car now but I also have some 19 coils and 20 coils.Mine must be weak.

Gary - you may have slightly worn hood hinges if the rear of the hood does not level out to the top of the fenders. Make sure to lubricate the pivot points and contact areas of the both hinges. You may be able to readjust the hinges to mitigate this issue. I had to do all of the above on a 73 Challenger which I previously owned. I understand this has been an issue with a lot of E-body and B-body vehicles.
Ron

What did you actually "re do"?

Gary,
Please detail what you did to accomplish the repair. It was not clear to me in your post.
Thanks,
Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back