• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Plymouth Satellite

Hello, I am 14 and have a 1971 plymouth sattelite project car. It has a 318, but I don't know where to get started on it.
That was my first car as well and i got mine at 14 years old too. That was 34 years ago and i still have it. Once you get it running, change the trans filter and adjust the bands. Wouldnt hurt to put a inexpensive shift kit in it too, like a b@m. Then rebuild the front end and put disc brakes on. I did the swap using a body spindles and big chrysler rotors. Once the car is safe and mechanically sound, start on the cosmetics.

Happy to help get some new blood into Mopars and just got done putting together a 72 green satellite.

Also plan on this costing more than expected, do you plan on keeping this car and modifying it? Also assuming not much mechanic experience.

Assuming you can move the crank by hand, if frozen hard and soaking in oil does not free up, that is another long story.

Totally drain gas tank and fuel line, use alcohol free gas (used normal gas before on projects that sit and by time i got to starting, gas had turned bad from sitting too long). I had to replace tank and did lines in 3/8s as mine were corroded and leaking.

Replace fuel pump right off, newer gas and time are bad on rubber and metal, and there will be junk in old lines that will clog carb.

From quick look at pics the carb might be initial problem, would be worth it to buy new manifold and carb instead of trying to make stock stuff work. Replacing the manifold would also let you look inside the motor to see if oil is coked up from heat or poor maintenance.

then Throw a battery on it and spray starting fluid down carb to see if you got spark. Would be worth it to replace like in video to save time and aggravation trying to make crusty old parts work.

Another common failure point is the ammeter gauge, info out there on how to bypass ammeter.

Expect to get discouraged, it will be worth it later when you got a huge smile during the first test drives.

Dont shark.

Welcome to the knowledge library! These guys are great on advice. Also they're like children....they like a lot of picture stories as you progress and ask questions. Enjoy, be patient and don't be afraid to ask for help!!

My 71 Satellite which is green also came out of Tennessee. I bought it in the Chattanooga area.

Good luck!!!

Welcome to the knowledge library! These guys are great on advice. Also they're like children....they like a lot of picture stories as you progress and ask questions. Enjoy, be patient and don't be afraid to ask for help!!

My 71 Satellite which is green also came out of Tennessee. I bought it in the Chattanooga area.

Good luck!!!
Thank you wise words understand more each day good soul you are.

Auto Transport Service
Back