• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Road Runner Help & Questions

What are you taking in school?

I was taking web design until the market fell off in my area and kind of every where right now.

I will be taking medical coding its 648 hours of class with our local college and I have up to a year to finish it. My goal is to try and finish it by Januray or first of the year. I will then have to set for a test that when I pass I will be able to do the job any where in the United States.

I liked web design but its ever changing and its always going back and learning something, not that its bad but at 38 years old not what I want to keep doing ever couple of years. The IT part was good and I may later on go back and finish that. I have up to a year and half left on that degree. I had to have emergency surgery while in that program or I would have finished it and I didn't bounce back to fast on the surgery lol.

So this is a good step for me and after its over I will be able to get a good paying job in my area starting pay is 15+ not bad and not that great but I will be earning more then a web designer in my area. The web design jobs started at 50-70 thousand a year in my area are now starting at 30-35 a year and thats for a web master.

So stay tunned and I may open up a little restoration shop out of my house doing Dashes like standard and rally dash from 68-70 and maybe a few other years. I'm still researching that part out. I kept being turned down for so many jobs and after talking with my family it was to the point I was going to have to find a way to make it on my own. I got lucky to into this program and course, it did dip into my car money a little but it is what it is.

So stay tunned I hope to see what happens on the car, youtube, blog and life. I'm so ready to get back to life.

Good luck in your classes, I hope it works out well for you! Any reason why just the three years picked to do dash s? just curious if there's a particular reason why others wouldn't be a benefit for you as well.

Good luck in your classes, I hope it works out well for you! Any reason why just the three years picked to do dash s? just curious if there's a particular reason why others wouldn't be a benefit for you as well.

Oh I would look at doing others. I just know they make parts for them like the cluster inside and I have only ever owned those years so I know them.

I would look to do others. I would just have to know the years and do some research on them and see about what is out there on the market to do them with.

Thanks on the well wishes its going to be a lot of work but worth it in th end. I think it just cost me the car but maybe not.

I also found a rare 72 Demon sunroof (converitable top) car and its a 340 car. I always find good cars and rare cars when I'm broke.

Ok so I dont know if anyone remembers the 71 GTX that was on ebay for $4500 buy it now price but here is the email the guy finally sent after the auction ended.

The frame is good the car has rust but not rusted bad. The car used to have a rag top so as it been sitting water soaked thru the rag and cause bad rust spot in curtain area. I know these would be the things that will need to be replace the front driver fender, battery tray, Floor pan if you do it seperate then it will be the passanger side front and back, front and back windsheild and windsheild plate... The car comes with new front and rear bumper. all the other glass are good and still roll up and down. The car color was dark teal green. The 440 is the original engine in the car and original DANA 60 rear end. You can call me at 229-347-8928 i havent sold the car but you still interested give me a call and leave me an email address that i can send you more picture of the car....Sorry It took me a long time to get back at you. I will send the pictures

So now after what is said in the above email why would this GTX (besides being a GTX) be worth paying $4500 for this car vs the Roadrunner? I know the value of a GTX will be more but I wouldnt say that much more.

I did let a 72 Demon converitable go today that needs restoration for $5000 because I want the Roadrunner. I know the Demon is rare very rare but I love that Roadrunner.

If you want to see the Demon go over to the A body site you will see it and it needs rust repair.

Oh I would look at doing others. I just know they make parts for them like the cluster inside and I have only ever owned those years so I know them.

I would look to do others. I would just have to know the years and do some research on them and see about what is out there on the market to do them with.

Thanks on the well wishes its going to be a lot of work but worth it in th end. I think it just cost me the car but maybe not.

I also found a rare 72 Demon sunroof (converitable top) car and its a 340 car. I always find good cars and rare cars when I'm broke.

It wont make you feel any better but you are not alone by no means! :confused5:

It wont make you feel any better but you are not alone by no means! :confused5:

It is crazy its like they just show up when they know we have no money lol.

Its cool to find the cars and the hunt is fun to find whta is rare what is common and to run across something rare is always cool. When I found the Demon my mouth just dropped open and then when the guys over at the A body site got excited I was like okay I think I need to look at hard at this one lol.

All well it is what is. I still want this Road Runner and if all goes as planned I will get it.

What's a "windshield plate"?

That scares me.

I've learned to be VERY careful and thourough when looking at vynil top cars.
Water takes very interesting paths when channeled between marginally prepped metal and vynil, and usually tends to pool in the same place.

I've passed on lots of otherwise decent cars because the windshield channel, cowl, or A pillars were ruted out. That is a TON of work to repair.

My advice, if you do not have a lot of experience doing body work / restorations, don't purchase a vehicle that needs that much work as a first car. The cost and hours involved will be remarkably more than you think. Invest a few more thousand up front and get a car that needs some love and attention, hopefully one that you can drive around as it sits despite it looking a bit rough, not one that needs a complete overhaul.

The rust on an old car is always way more than you thought when you first looked at it. The cost to fix it is always way more than you thought up front.

Your second project car can be as rusty and wrecked as you want. By that time it's too late . You are already a car nut and hooked for life. Would hate to lose a fellow mopar man through discouragement before he gets to that point.

My advice, if you do not have a lot of experience doing body work / restorations, don't purchase a vehicle that needs that much work as a first car. The cost and hours involved will be remarkably more than you think. Invest a few more thousand up front and get a car that needs some love and attention, hopefully one that you can drive around as it sits despite it looking a bit rough, not one that needs a complete overhaul.

The rust on an old car is always way more than you thought when you first looked at it. The cost to fix it is always way more than you thought up front.

Your second project car can be as rusty and wrecked as you want. By that time it's too late . You are already a car nut and hooked for life. Would hate to lose a fellow mopar man through discouragement before he gets to that point.

I used to do work in my dads shop mostly what ever he needed me to do like cuting sheet metal off and helping hang panels and lining them up.

I never got a chance to do any welding my dad really wanted me to stay away from that and he said it had to do with the kind of metals to weld. I know every time he welds his head breaks out and he bleeds. Also breathing problems.

I did start to get into painting before my dad closed up his shop and retired due to health reason. My dad said he had never seen anyone take to priming a car the way I did and he said if I did that well at it that it wouldnt take me long to be painting a car. He also told me and asked me to please dont go into this line of work.

I have done seat work and interior work and a lot of detail work. The bad is my health after having a stroke at age 29 doing metal work on my own its not going to happen. I will have some trouble sanding down the car and getting it ready just due to muscle weaknes but I can do it.

On a good note my dad (legally blind) got a new set of glass and he can see a lot better and said to me get this car and he and I will get it prepped for paint and he will paint it. He even said he wants to paint it and wants to paint one last car.

If I do get this Road Runner and my dad and I do finish it I will never sell it even if I'm offered a million for it. It will be the last car my dad and I touch and that time together is worth more then anything in this world.

I also did get a price for paint on this car if I wanted Jeremy at Muscle Car Creations to do it. I'm looking at a total with the car, metal work and paint $11,000.00 and he has a motor and trans guy who can give me a number on fixing that as well.

Jeremy aslo said he would hand paint the stripes on.

So that is where I stand right now and I'm gearing up to start this class and if the Road Runner is still there in a few months (spring of next year) this will be in my garage.

Still visible in one of your shots;
driversidefront.jpg

Here again;
attachment.jpg

http://www.performancecargraphics.c...GTX_Road_Runner/71_GTX_RR_Hood_Pinstripes.htm

Thank you I couldnt tell in the pics if that was just part of the hood or what it was. When you pointed it out I can see it and I see it in the link you posted.

Thanks that makes since to me.

So tell me is it odd that they are black and not white since the rest of the stripe package is white.

I need to look up if the even offered another color as an option.

Side note the guy gave me a price to paint the car and also paint in the decal parts it would be me to 11K or 12K with paint, metal work and the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back