• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Road Runner sold in the 1990's

John Hogan

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
I often wonder if this car survived. It was my first of a couple restorations I did in the late 80's and sold it in the early 90's in Denver, CO.
1971 Road Runner, 383, 4 speed, 15" Rallyes, factory hood pins, dual painted mirrors, air grabber car. I restored it totally stock other than chin spoilers and a Go-Wing that I added. My wife at the time drove it as a daily driver for over a year. Believe the gentleman I sold it to was named Dallas, who bought it for what I thought was a great price of $7,500. Back then nobody cared about fender tags or build sheets so I have no record of the VIN.
Now I'm restoring a 1973 and think about my first restoration often. Now being 69 years old my 1973 resto is going a little slower than my first one at the age of 35 or so......
Last pic is my '73 when I first bought it a couple of years ago.

71RR.jpg

71RR1.jpg

71RR2.jpg

71RR3.jpg

71RR4.jpg

01212_eDZKvxccjM8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

$7500 was a great price in the late 80's-early 90's! Mind blowing how much that has changed.

I’ve always found it interesting how certain cars we never totally can let go. Best of luck on the search, and enjoy your 73, they are my favorite.

IMG_1787.jpeg

$7500 was a great price in the late 80's-early 90's! Mind blowing how much that has changed.
Yep, it's beyond crazy. I bought that car for $1,200, probably invested $3,500 in restoring it (plus a year of my labor and beer expense for me and a buddy). I remember bitching that rechrome cost $125 per bumper, the decal set was just about $100 and urethane paint was over $100 a gallon.
When I purchased the '73 I hadn't restored a MOPAR in over 30 years. I told my wife when we bought it that I would probably be spending $5,000 or so on parts and paint.
Now that the cost for everything has been over double that, I'm lucky I'm not sleeping in the shop with my car!

Nice 71. I miss the days when you could find them without trouble.

Auto Transport Service
Back