• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Roadrunner Steering Column issues, what am I missing?

TURBOSCHILZ

Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
So finishing the restoration on my 71 Roadrunner. Just noticed that the steering column is hardly being held in. Am I missing something that pushes the column out a bit from the firewall?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Looks to me like that column is collapsed. The outer mesh jacket is bulged so the upper inner shaft is most likely collapsed and to short. Time to pull it out and fully inspect.

So are you saying that the outer mesh is collapsed and has caused problems internally? Here's a pic of the mesh, there are what look like 4-5 small bulges in it that can be seen, but also attached is a pic of one off Ebay, looks to have the same bulges in it. So I'm assuming that's normal, or should they not be bulged out at all?

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

So are you saying that the outer mesh is collapsed and has caused problems internally? Here's a pic of the mesh, there are what look like 4-5 small bulges in it that can be seen, but also attached is a pic of one off Ebay, looks to have the same bulges in it. So I'm assuming that's normal, or should they not be bulged out at all?

View attachment 1546748

View attachment 1546749

View attachment 1546750
Not 100 percent sure on the outer part. But for sure you need to see if the plastic pins are sheared and the lower half is shoved up into the upper half.

My steering shaft extended once and held the steering housing away from the mounts like yours showing. Had to give the end of the steering shaft a couple of love taps to collapse back in place.
It unexplainably extended and was a bugger getting back in place.

Okay, so not sure if I'm a genius or an idiot...lol So, I pulled on it where it sits and it moved a very little. BUT, I was under there just trying to push the white bushings onto the bracket a little better, wouldn't budge. So, there are the four 1/2" bolts holding the bracket to the shaft, I stuck a pry bar between those and the white bushings. Prying not only pushed the bushings down, but pulled the entire shaft out while still bolted to the floor. Problem solved...hahahaha

So in short dudes, DON'T waste the time removing your column...lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back