• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Charger 440 owner new to site

JaredMopar

Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
Hello all. I just found this site and am happy to be involved with other Mopar lovers. I am rehabing my 1972 Charger for the second time around. It was my first car and funding was short to say the least. I had the 440 short block rebuilt at a local machine shop, 727 rebuilt at trans shop, and dad and I did the rest. I found a posi at a local boneyard and started a new journey in life, try to keep from getting stopped at triple digit speeds. It's been sitting for years now due to the purchase of my home and the cost of life in general. I'm trying to fix it up right this time. My idea is to get the car back on the road driving safely and worry about the body work/paint later. My immediate need is a big block K-frame. I did drive it w/ the sb K-frame but having my drivers side header whack into my steering box never sat well with me. Glad I found this site to give me a little more motivation. I hope to learn alot more about my car and get her back tearing asphalt soon!:eek:s_dancing2:

I know she's not pretty but I figured I'd add a photo anyway.
Charger1.jpg

Hey, It's not Bad, It will buff out! ......I have seen much,much worse !

BTW, cool hand cuffs on the rear view. :cool:

ouch! Welcome, I say Ouch b/c RI cars are in sad shape, especially our older ones! Look at my GTX; it was a RI car, I won't go that way again! Be careful, and good luck on your build!

hello, welcome nice charger man. are you sure you need to change k frames. i have headers on my 73 charger and they have always been a pain in the ***. starters will burn out from the heat. so you have to put heat insulation around them. sometimes they will rub your steering column shaft so you have to go to flaming river shaft which is expensive. and if the starter goes you gotta tear the header off and jack that side of the motor up to get it out. its a bitch. i would go with manifolds but hey its your build. i wouldnt wanna change k frames if i didnt have to though.

hello, welcome nice charger man. are you sure you need to change k frames. i have headers on my 73 charger and they have always been a pain in the ***. starters will burn out from the heat. so you have to put heat insulation around them. sometimes they will rub your steering column shaft so you have to go to flaming river shaft which is expensive. and if the starter goes you gotta tear the header off and jack that side of the motor up to get it out. its a bitch. i would go with manifolds but hey its your build. i wouldnt wanna change k frames if i didnt have to though.

My drivers side header physically will not fit without some serious persusion with a sledge hammer. I'm now unsure if it's the k-frame that's the issue. I was told all 71&72 V8 k-frames are the same. My motor is out of a 76. Maybe the motor mounts are different?? I was also told the 73&74 are a totally different set-up so that may be why yours will fit and mine do not. I had the starter issue years ago so I replaced mine with a compact high torque starter which is about 1/3 the size and 1/4 the weight. It cranks like there's no tomorrow. I had a stainless dual exhaust tig welded to fit the headers and I'm not sure I could go without the option to open those header dumps:grin:

The mounting bosses on the blocks are the same no matter what year, so that's not your problem. Some times a problem like this is caused by a bad motor mount (the rubber part). This lets one side of the motor sit low hence the clearance problem

Auto Transport Service
Back