• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Dodge Charger Ignition Issue

RTclassicfann

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
This problem just started any input would be greatly appreciated. The engine cranks but no ignition. The weird thing is that when I turn the key the engine cranks with no ignition but as I turn the key off it acts like it wants to fire, like I'm getting ignition at that point. In fact, that's how I actually got the car started, I pressed the gas pedal down as I turning the key off and it fired up. Just replaced the ignition control box/unit as well, thought that was it but it wasn't. Any input?????

Sounds like a classic ballast resistor failure, or wiring to same.

ignition switch gone bad or ballast resistor failure as oldbee said,

What's the brake light status on cluster on every ign stage?

It should full light on at ign 1 and dim a bit while cranking

Yes, it seems doesn't have relation with ign system, but it does just like a test light, trust me!

Sorry for the late reply, just been very busy. Thanks to those who responded. I switched out the ballast resistor but the problem continued to exist. Weird thing now is that it generally starts pretty easy as soon as I begin to turn the ignition off.

use a "hot wire" from +battery terminal to the ignition side of ballast ,if car starts fine you have a bad ignition switch . I'm betting that's your problem ,had the same issues with the roadrunner only it would start and then when you let go of key it would cut out . used the wire trick to diagnose switch problem and to check ballast ( if it didn't start with it on ignition side of ballast put of other side and try again if runs bad ballast )

I had same problem in my duster I replaced the elc side of the ignition switch it worked fine after that

Auto Transport Service
Back