• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 satellite sebring restore

DudeBroDerk

Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Newbie here!
I’m looking into getting my first dream car as a complete project! It’s a 72 satellite sebring and I see the major potential I this car. It looks rough for sure but I want honest opinions on it from experienced people here. I’m planning on putting a black vinyl top on it and going to the plum crazy purple when i get there of course! I do not currently own it but I’m in the process! I was seriously thinking about making it a roadrunner clone but I’m so unsure.. I love the decal on the rear of the car but I’m not sure how frowned upon that is in the community. I’m 27 going on 28 so I’m still fairly young yet and have time (hopefully).
Will attach pics so you guys can give honest feedback on it. I think I can get the car for around 1200$ cash we have talked about it but it’s still in the works.. the driver floor pan needs a small patch but the trunk is solid and the frame is solid!

4C4A0180-CCD1-4BB1-8659-98B523712E22.jpeg

05BCFC6C-8BCB-477D-9CFE-946B1AEE1D2D.jpeg

3B63C398-467C-49D8-819B-9E4EEF5F3E36.jpeg

BB777AEB-5865-41CF-919D-891F4C38DE12.jpeg

9861BE31-B248-478F-BFA2-1E84E708D81F.jpeg

295DB2BA-6526-4D61-8934-8DC1FBA36982.jpeg

6044455F-A239-4FD3-AFA8-FD387EE18920.jpeg

2E87C52B-4CCE-4FD2-871C-0E8E02BD89AE.jpeg

674522E8-25AA-415D-8EE5-579E85146DAF.jpeg

Wow, that's one of my dream cars too, I'd pay $1200 all day, score!

In all honesty, this car has some serious rust issues. Be aware that rust is just like an iceberg, what you can see is NOT all that's there. Metal work is expensive, and then there is the availability of replacement parts. You didn't state whether the car was running or not, which is also something that should be factored into your decision. I can sense that you are truly "in love" w/ this car, but you need to step back and think seriously about the money that you're wanting to invest in it. The current and best thinking on getting a classic car is to "buy one in the best shape that you can afford" as restoration costs have really risen. Just my $.02 worth; I, too have very fond memories of two Satellite Sebring Plus' in my history! Good luck and best wishes to you! :thumbsup:

In all honesty, this car has some serious rust issues. Be aware that rust is just like an iceberg, what you can see is NOT all that's there. Metal work is expensive, and then there is the availability of replacement parts. You didn't state whether the car was running or not, which is also something that should be factored into your decision. I can sense that you are truly "in love" w/ this car, but you need to step back and think seriously about the money that you're wanting to invest in it. The current and best thinking on getting a classic car is to "buy one in the best shape that you can afford" as restoration costs have really risen. Just my $.02 worth; I, too have very fond memories of two Satellite Sebring Plus' in my history! Good luck and best wishes to you! :thumbsup:
so its a roller. i climbed under it and checked as well a i could for major rust issues and didnt see anything major but again you can see where its sitting in the pictures. this will be a very long restore and i realize that but they are getting super hard to find around me :( i just want my dream car so i can start a project but i definately dont want in over my head

Honest opinion is you can do better than this car.
The fact that you joined us is a good start :thumbsup:
Introduce yourself in the “Welcome Wagon” then let everyone know what your looking for and I bet someone here can find a car in better shape.

I’m looking into getting my first dream car as a complete project! It’s a 72 satellite sebring and I see the major potential I this car. It looks rough for sure but I want honest opinions on it from experienced people here. I’m planning on putting a black vinyl top on it and going to the plum crazy purple when i get there of course! I do not currently own it but I’m in the process! I was seriously thinking about making it a roadrunner clone but I’m so unsure.. I love the decal on the rear of the car but I’m not sure how frowned upon that is in the community. I’m 27 going on 28 so I’m still fairly young yet and have time (hopefully).
Will attach pics so you guys can give honest feedback on it. I think I can get the car for around 1200$ cash we have talked about it but it’s still in the works.. the driver floor pan needs a small patch but the trunk is solid and the frame is solid!

View attachment 1327734

View attachment 1327735

View attachment 1327736

View attachment 1327737

View attachment 1327738

View attachment 1327739

View attachment 1327740

View attachment 1327741

View attachment 1327744
Welcome to site Derek from the other side of the state along the Mississippi River

Great bunch of people here and a lotta knowledge that’s for sure

Be aware that the vinyl top is what caused the difficult to repair and easy to come back rust on the roof and rear windshield gutters.

That car looks pretty rusty. The $1200 buy in is tempting and is okay if you're experienced with major component replacement and welding. If you haven't welded and don't have the equipment I think you would be better off saving some more and looking for a true no-rust project that can be found in the $10k range. If you buy this one for $1200 you will have at least $10k into it with repro sheetmetal and welding materials and equipment anyway. It takes most people a few years working on a car like this before they give up and sell it all taken apart at a loss. Not everyone gives up but most do.

Welcome, 72 satellites are great cars. One of my all time favorites to drive. Now that they makes quarters the car is very repairable, but be prepared to spend some time and money. At least it appears to be original, likely not hiding amything. My brother and I bought our 72 satellite in 1989. It is in roadrunner trim although we still call it a satellite. Ours had rust issues mainly the lower extremities. We had to replace the driverside front frame rail clear back in 1990. We are redoing ours again we have a aluminum headed 542 about done for it. Ours we converted to a ralleye dash with a console and bucket seats and a working ac.
I am in SE Nebraska. Only a few miles from western Iowa.

I just bought a 72 Satellite with a running 68 383 HP, 727, (not installed) 8.75 out of a Charger decent black interior was a 318 auto on column. Has had trunk installed already, quarters decently replaced for 2k. Has rust in A pillar and driver’s door jamb. New glass.. paid 2k and got lucky on eBay. Super great seller I’ll be picking it up in a few weeks. Point is they aren’t ridiculously high and snapped up like 68-70 Chargers or 70/71 Cudas and sometimes get overlooked so I’d recommend finding a screaming deal on a better car unless it’s high end (aka one of the few 72 440 6bbl cars that don’t exist)

View attachment 1327734

View attachment 1327735

View attachment 1327736

View attachment 1327737

View attachment 1327738

View attachment 1327739

View attachment 1327740

View attachment 1327741

View attachment 1327744
Nice score good price to boot!
That rust doesn't look bad at all buy half quarter panels and cut them up for rust repair panels make the job of saving you originals easier.
The rust around the windows is easy as well. But not as easy as the quarters. As was said the Rust will be deeper than what can be seen.

Use caution when talking to others about Rust repair, Far to many think they know what they are talking about and dont know squat about it because they have never bothered to learn how to do it correctly they just watch Youtube videos and think they know it all.
Their is right way and wrong way! Using Cheap China made panels is best left for cutting up for patches they are not suitable to be used for full panel replacement, Most all available restoration panels fall into the cheap China made junk category! in my opinion.

Avoid using a Mig welder as well, Use a Tig welder or Gas welding they are the preferred methods for sheet metal repair.

Auto Transport Service
Back