• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Satellite, Sebring, Sebring Plus or Roadrunner

Robert Schaad

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
I get a lot of questions on the difference between Models on my 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. So here is what I know. Check the first two digits of the VIN.
RL - R means Satellite, L means low cost. This is a base Satellite with very little standard features.
RH - R means Satellite, H means high cost. This is a Satellite Sebring. More standard features then the Satellite.
RP - R means Satellite, P means Premium cost. Satellite Sebring Plus. Normally the highest cost Satellite with the most standard features. It also has many of the same features that are on a Roadrunner.
RM - R means Satellite, M means medium cost. Roadrunner. Usually has more performance standard features and less goody features.
RS - R means Satellite, S means special. This was the GTX model until 1972 when the GTX was just a feature added on a RoadRunner.
Notice each is a SATELLITE. The model was different but the bodies were the same. And before some one jumps in and disagrees, I said BODY.
Also for you young members, In those days, we could special order a model and add features. Even features that were not available for a model could be added. Dealers would do a lot to sell a car. Dealers would even repaint a car for you to get you to buy it. Don't know how they could do that and make money.
Also another important piece of information. Ever notice a color dot on some parts? When a car would come down the assembly line, and a certain rear axle was to be added. How would the worker know if they had the correct axle? Many could not read real good. Colored dots were added to assist the assembler.

Auto Transport Service
Back