• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973-74 Road Runner / Satellite - What am I missing?

Wow,
Thanks again. I do in fact have those 2 pieces and never knew what the were for or even if they were from a different car. I do have the lower splash guards,( the rusty pieces in top 2 photos). There is a gap (square opening on the frame side where the bumper support bolts on) approx. 6" square and I don't know if anything should be there either. Do you have the same gap like mine or am I missing something there as well?

Wow,
Thanks again. I do in fact have those 2 pieces and never knew what the were for or even if they were from a different car. I do have the lower splash guards,( the rusty pieces in top 2 photos). There is a gap (square opening on the frame side where the bumper support bolts on) approx. 6" square and I don't know if anything should be there either. Do you have the same gap like mine or am I missing something there as well?
Yes, looks like you are missing the angled part of the bumper structure. Here is a picture of mine when I took it off the car, its upside down in the picture, but you can see the angled parts that go through the opening there.
DSC03861.JPG

I think you are right again, idrive. It must have been scrapped to drop weight. I mounted road lamps from the bumper bolts each side and nuthin there and no side supports either. I hate to ask but what does your inner fender forward in the front look like with the side angled parts on it by the frame, is it sealed with rubber or anything around those supports? My question from above, entry 21. Thanks again!

Also, just an fyi, there are two small pieces that bolt from the angled bumper support to the fender, you can sort of see one on the left side of the picture above.

So, there are no seals around the bumper structure, the open area above your splash guards is where they pass through, and this is the best picture I have of that area, so you can see the curve in the splash guard and how much that piece fills it up.
20161019_125635.jpg

So the splash guard fills pretty much right up to the angled outer support brackets! That makes perfect sense. Thank you again for the picture and info. Without good people like you and other fine people on this site, I would be up a tree without a paddle. Judging by your pictures, I can only assume that you re-did your car yourself; taking pictures all along the way. That is admirable and amazing to me. I wish I possessed the knowledge and patience it takes to do things like that. I hope that I live long enough and this country survives to allow me the opportunity to undertake such a project some day. I am a rotating shift worker and usually half asleep while others are alert and functioning normally. Some day. I will wake up and find this was all a dream. Again, I want to thank you and all of the great folks that support worthwhile things like this that make life enjoyable and worth living.
:thankyou:

Yes, its pretty close up to the bumper supports.

I didn't do all the work on the car, but as much as I could, which was still a lot more then I ever imagined, so thanks for the kind words, I like to help where I can, lots of folks here helped me out when I was rebuilding the car over 3 year period, so I am glad to give back!!!

I need to get busy and get her cleaned up for winter hibernation unfortunately, so from my pictures she needs some cleaning underneath!!!

After all this time, and even though I bought a patch piece from a very nice member from here, I decided it would be easier to make up something to block the free flow air to the fenderwell and it worked out pretty well, although a tad sloppy. See attached photos. Thanks again to all who helped me out here.
DSCF3962.JPG
DSCF3963.JPG DSCF3964.JPG DSCF3966.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back