• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Charger Hemi Swap

jstephen1

Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Just inherited my Uncles 1973 Dodge Charger SE, I'm the third owner and it's stayed in the family the whole time. The block on the LA series that came with it was broken so I'm figuring out what to do with it. I've been scouring the internet for information on hemi swaps but it doesn't seem like there's much available for 73's. I'm hoping I can garner some wisdom from some fellow enthusiasts while I get this classic back on the road. I'm not looking to do a full resto and aiming more for a daily driver when I'm not using my modern charger. It's in great condition, minimal rust damage, interior is in good condition, so body work will be minimal. Engine and tranny is already gutted so it's in a prime position to do some work. Looking forward to sharing the journey.

I've been tossing around the idea of throwing a 5.7 hemi in there. I've got two 727's that came with but not sure if they actually work so will probably do a rebuild to avoid future problems. I know they make the converter plates so I can avoid issues there, and I've managed to find some mounts from Bouchillon for the engine assembly. A couple questions:

Does anyone have suggestions on a recommended throttle body and drive by cable conversion kit?
I plan on calling Holley, but does anyone know if their 72 swap pieces work for the 73?
Are there any major issues anyone that has performed this swap have run into that might help me avoid some heartache before I go slinging around a ton of cash?
If the need arises, any recommended vendors for a custom driveshaft?

The goal is to getting it running asap, and taking care of additional things as I go such as A/C and cosmetics. I've seen several issues people have had such as the steering pump needing to be replaced etc.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I promise I've been scouring the forums for days and while I've found generally good information I haven't found much in detail related to the 73s.

Last edited:
If the need arises, any recommended vendors for a custom driveshaft?
I recommend a custom Strange Driveshaft. If you get from Summit its free delivery (drop shipped from Strange). Go to the Strange Engineering website and get the form for you to fill out your custom length. I wouldn't hesitate on replacing the driveshaft. The torque difference between the stock engine and the hemi could make the old one the weak link. The Strange driveshafts come with the tough 1350 u-joints and good yolks. Good luck.

Strange Engineering U1699 Strange Chromoly Fully Assembled Driveshafts | Summit Racing

Custom Driveshaft Order Form - Strange Engineering

I recommend a custom Strange Driveshaft. If you get from Summit its free delivery (drop shipped from Strange). Go to the Strange Engineering website and get the form for you to fill out your custom length. I wouldn't hesitate on replacing the driveshaft. The torque difference between the stock engine and the hemi could make the old one the weak link. The Strange driveshafts come with the tough 1350 u-joints and good yolks. Good luck.

Strange Engineering U1699 Strange Chromoly Fully Assembled Driveshafts | Summit Racing

Custom Driveshaft Order Form - Strange Engineering
Thanks I'm stockpiling a list of websites for potential needs, so this is very useful.

I'm interested in doing the swap on my 73 rolling chassis as well. I have a 17 Challenger donor car. Have you started your swap yet?

I was reading on the web about putting a Hemi in a roadrunner. Lot of challenges with tunnel and fire wall. Or was it the hell cat motor. I just read enough to say it is a job. One place they built a frame and set the shell on to the frame. Might could look at putting a 440 in it better or a 383.

I was reading on the web about putting a Hemi in a roadrunner. Lot of challenges with tunnel and fire wall. Or was it the hell cat motor. I just read enough to say it is a job. One place they built a frame and set the shell on to the frame. Might could look at putting a 440 in it better or a 383.
The tunnel issues come when you want to use the modern transmissions as they're a bunch larger. He saying he'd use a 727, so that's not an issue. I believe the supercharged engines have some fitment issues with the wiper motor on the firewall, n/a engines don't from what I've seen.

Any b body with console will help ya see any potential problems.

Putting a G3 into one of these cars is not that difficult but it definitely is not a simple bolt in, however it is certainly possible and has been done many times. If you are going to use the modern AT then yes the tunnel will need to be altered, but here again there are kits to accomplish it.

Nothing wrong with a 383 or 440 either but IMO a G3 is the way to go if you want to drive it.

Auto Transport Service
Back