• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Dodge Charger SE needs a little TLC

jstephen1

Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

Just inherited my Uncles 1973 Dodge Charger SE, I'm not the third owner and it's stayed in the family the whole time. The block on the LA series that came with it was broken so I'm figuring out what to do with it. I've been scouring the internet for information on hemi swaps but it doesn't seem like there's much available for 73's. I'm hoping I can garner some wisdom from some fellow enthusiasts while I get this classic back on the road. I'm not looking to do a full resto and aiming more for a daily driver when I'm not using my modern charger. It's in great condition, minimal rust damage, interior is in good condition, so body work will be minimal. Engine and tranny is already gutted so it's in a prime position to do some work. Looking forward to sharing the journey.

Greetings from northern Michigan.

Nice thing about sharing journeys are the pics. Got any to prep us for the journey? :poke:
I haven't done pictures but , I sm doing videos with my buddy on a youtube channel.

You'll just have to deal with the country accent. I haven't ever worked on a classic like this before so I'm having to do a lot research. I'm sure I'll get dinged already for just blacking out the engine bay but I don't have the luxury to spend as much as others on certain things. Don't crucify me too hard.

Magnum swap MUCH cheaper and easier.

...unless you got deep pockets.

Welcome from Missouri!!

Magnum swap MUCH cheaper and easier.

...unless you got deep pockets.
I had considered it, luckily I have some family connections which allow me to get discounts with LKQ etc for the things like the engine assembly. I already have two 727s....Honestly at the end I think the paint job and repairing some of the rest damage may wind up the most expensive portion. I haven't purchased anything yet so I still have options.

I haven't seen too many 73 or later late model Hemi swaps.

I say go for it.

Yeah I've been struggling to find anyone on almost any forums that have done it, but given the similarities I think others here will still be valuable. I know I've already given up on slapping a modern transmission in their because I don't want to chop up the unibody. I'm probably going to have many frustrating moments but I think in the end it'll be worth it. My intent is to try and keep a list of parts, locations, price etc. for the next poor soul.

Welcome to FBBO

Auto Transport Service
Back