• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Road Runner "earmuff boards"?

John Hogan

Local time
4:18 AM
Reaction score
So a I continue to tear down my car I continue to have questions..... On the rear pillars inside there are cardboard looking panels attached to the body with black push pins. From what I can find they may be called earmuff boards. ( see pictures ) They are sturdier than cardboard but after almost 50 years they are falling apart and so brittle they can't be removed intact.
They extend from the roof area to below the lower trim panels and have cutouts in them for the "teeth" that secure the headliner. BTW, thanks to Builderguy for finding me the correct headliner!
Any supplier I have checked does not seem to reproduce them and I don't thing cutting them from cardboard would work out too well. The '68 and '71 I restored previously didn't have anything like them.
Helpppp, ideas?

Rear sail panel board.jpg Rear sail panel plastic panel.jpg

Those are your Sail Panel Boards John. It looks like Classic Industries has them listed in their catalog. It says they are plain uncovered panels ready to cover in your choice of materials. May not be what you were hoping for but you can check them out @ classicindustries.com

So a I continue to tear down my car I continue to have questions..... On the rear pillars inside there are cardboard looking panels attached to the body with black push pins. From what I can find they may be called earmuff boards. ( see pictures ) They are sturdier than cardboard but after almost 50 years they are falling apart and so brittle they can't be removed intact.
They extend from the roof area to below the lower trim panels and have cutouts in them for the "teeth" that secure the headliner. BTW, thanks to Builderguy for finding me the correct headliner!
Any supplier I have checked does not seem to reproduce them and I don't thing cutting them from cardboard would work out too well. The '68 and '71 I restored previously didn't have anything like them.
Helpppp, ideas?

View attachment 1244416 View attachment 1244417
My 74 Charger had them also and I couldn't find the correct replacement anywhere. The ones being offered as reproductions are not even close. I made my own out of a heavy cardboard and I glued on insulation. The originals had an asphalt kind of material in them. The ones I made worked great using the originals as patterns. The first photo is the original. The second photo is what I made.
Here's the link where I discussed it years ago.
1974 Charger Seat Covers, Headliners, Sail Panel Materials | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum
Terry W.

Sail Panel insulation.jpg Sail Panel Board Replacemnet (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the main purpose of those is to keep the vinyl / cloth headliner from blowing out when the trunk is slammed.
I'm dealing with the same issue on my 68. The repop uncovered ones from CI aren't quite right. If your originals are still in semi good shape use them as a template and make your own.

Deer Trail? Welcome brother. I'm in Fort Fun CO.

My 74 Charger had them also and I couldn't find the correct replacement anywhere. The ones being offered as reproductions are not even close. I made my own out of a heavy cardboard and I glued on insulation. The originals had an asphalt kind of material in them. The ones I made worked great using the originals as patterns. The first photo is the original. The second photo is what I made.
Here's the link where I discussed it years ago.
1974 Charger Seat Covers, Headliners, Sail Panel Materials | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum
Terry W.

View attachment 1244465 View attachment 1244467
Great, I was wondering if cutting my own cardboard would work. Glad to know that I'm not alone in hunting everywhere and coming up empty handed! Thanks!!!!!!

Yeah, the main purpose of those is to keep the vinyl / cloth headliner from blowing out when the trunk is slammed.
I'm dealing with the same issue on my 68. The repop uncovered ones from CI aren't quite right. If your originals are still in semi good shape use them as a template and make your own.

Deer Trail? Welcome brother. I'm in Fort Fun CO.
Yep, the passenger side is mostly intact and I can use it as a pattern for both. When I took the plastic sail panel off the drivers side first all these chunks of brown stuff fell out and I wondered what the heck it was.

We're actually a Deer Trail address but about 25 miles south of Byers, CO.

Yep, the passenger side is mostly intact and I can use it as a pattern for both. When I took the plastic sail panel off the drivers side first all these chunks of brown stuff fell out and I wondered what the heck it was.

We're actually a Deer Trail address but about 25 miles south of Byers, CO.
A word of caution before removing the panel piece. Carefully use tape on places where it may fall apart while removing. If pieces break off, mark them so you know where they go. to reassemble to trace a new pattern. I also made an extra set of panels (a total of 2 panels made for each side) just in case.
Terry W.

A word of caution before removing the panel piece. Carefully use tape on places where it may fall apart while removing. If pieces break off, mark them so you know where they go. to reassemble to trace a new pattern. I also made an extra set of panels (a total of 2 panels made for each side) just in case.
Terry W.
Good advice since they are really brittle. Since one side fell apart I assume both sides are the same, am I correct?

Good advice since they are really brittle. Since one side fell apart I assume both sides are the same, am I correct?
Yes, they were in my Charger. As I said, I made an extra one because I have another 74 Charger and no telling if the ones in it are usable. Here's a closeup photo are what the panel composition looks like.
Terry W.

Sail Panel Board Composition 1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back