• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 roadrunner manual to power steering

73Roadrunner1

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Roadrunner that I'm putting a 408 in. It has manual steering and I need to convert it to power steering. Looking for advice on what pump to buy and what I all have to do to make this work.

20220826_162851.jpg

Do you want to go stock or try something else? Most stock parts are available new or remanufactured including pump, box, hoses, brackets, etc. Note that the manual steering column is longer than the power steering column. It's a bolt-in job once you have the parts.

If you want to an upgrade, try Borgenson.com.

You CAN (as I did), remove your column and drill out the nylon pins that hold the 2 shafts together. It is made to collapse in a collision.In my case, I had to pull it out to make it longer. Yours will need the opposite. Very easy to do. Drill em out or use a small propane torch to melt the pins. I had power and went manual. Now going back to power and doing it all again with a Borgenson unit using the stock Saginaw pump

I would recommmend you get the complete kit from BAC, they are a vender here on FBBO.

For a stock conversion, I believe you will need (based on my ‘70)
A. P/S box
B. Pitman arm
C. P/S pump, hoses & bracket
D. Change center column shaft length as noted above (shorten it).

Auto Transport Service
Back