• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 RR steering locked up???

Joe Palmer

Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
OK, here's a new one to me. Went to move my son's '73 Road Runner back down to the barn to install the headliner Saturday. There's is no motor/trans in the car currently, but we have been moving the car around. I turned the wheels to the right about 1/2 way exit the carport with no issues, As I went to turn the other way the steering just locked (like the key was turned off). I checked shift linkage, key, disconnected steering column, and the center link off the pitman arm. After that I removed the valve off the top of the box and pulled the spring and adjustor out. This thing will not turn....What did I do...car is stuck with wheels in the position in the photo...

Any ideas?

IMG_6560.JPG

I had a 1980 truck steering box (very similar) get stuck a few times and then something inside broke.

I had to replace the box.

If you have disconnected the pitman arm from the center link, then the steering box and steering column have nothing to do with the movement of the front tires any longer. I would jack up the front end to get the tires off the ground and figure out why the front wheels are not free to move side to side.

So if I’m reading this correctly you have disconnected the steering column from the box and the center link from the pitman arm and you still can’t get the box to turn ?
Not sure it matters but is this a manual or power steering box ?
Sounds like something stuck or froze up in the box.

So if I’m reading this correctly you have disconnected the steering column from the box and the center link from the pitman arm and you still can’t get the box to turn ?
Not sure it matters but is this a manual or power steering box ?
Sounds like something stuck or froze up in the box.
That is correct, it moves back and forth about a 1/16 of an inch. Like something inside has jammed it. Everything disconnected, wheels move freely.

Looks like I'm going inside it!

Auto Transport Service
Back