• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Satellite Audio System

r0yce

Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
Hello community,

I recently ripped out that old, rotten football-shaped speaker from the center dash console.
I replaced that with a self-made bracket and 2 x 3,5" speakers from Alpine.
IMG_4062.jpeg

In addition to that, I added a small bluetooth-capable amp under-dash with 1 volume knob for controls (one of those chinese pcb-amplifiers):
71MQ8wjSrIL._SL1500_.jpg

In conclusion, the sound coming from this combination is absolutely horrible.

Are you aware of any good-sounding replacement speaker for the center dash console (preferably available in Europe) and a nice bluetooth amp that is small enough to be hidden somewhere under the dash?
Alternatively, any other good placement for speakers and amp?
I'm not looking for one of those retrofit stereos as I want to keep the old stereo in.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Speakers are all about size. With little 3.5" speakers you can't get any bass sounds. Likely your system sounds 'tinny'.

Below is a speaker that will help. It is from Retromanufacturing.com
No, I don't work for them and any similar speaker will help as well. The bottom line is you need to move more air to get bass sounds. Even the speaker below will have it's limitations - it is simply a function of size. You need size in order to move air and create bass sounds. But it will help.
(Note also: bass sounds are not directional, so you don't need stereo bass speakers. You could also install one subwoofer system in your car to get some better base sounds in addition to the above to help - these can fit under the seat, for example.)

Edit: one more thing - make sure your Ohms are matched between speaker and amplifier. For example, you don't want a 4 ohm system driving 8 ohm speakers. This will also compromise sound.

1694863693431.png

Last edited:
Great info, thanks!
I was able to locate a similar speaker in Europe.
Any tips for an actual amplifier? A stealthy one would be great

Any tips for an actual amplifier? A stealthy one would be great
I don't have any experience with small, separate amplifiers. I have a 70 Road Runner and chose to have an original 70 AM radio converted to a high power Bluetooth amplifier. I am very happy with this setup.
IMG_4369.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back