• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket stereo's in a 71 B body

Oh and about the Radio options… 72RoadrunnerGTX made a nice one using a 90s Chrysler Radio inners onto a 71/74 case. Some skills are required though. There is an old thread about that job.

72 Radio upgrade info - Road Runner Nest

@72RoadrunnerGTX

The good on that is the face bezel matches perfectly with cluster bezel opening since is the stock one, no gaps like the aftermarket pieces being squared.

Another option is built also your one onto your old Radio case with the Aurora conversion kit. Good on this is you can start with the basics and expand its options later.

Radio conversions for classic vehicles | Aurora Design

Aurora FMR Stereo Conversion

it is what Tayman ( already mentioned on one of the earlier replies ) makes… but you can save a bit making it by yourself. Several sellers of that kit.

Last edited:
Now there’s an old thread, almost had to refer back to those pictures a couple of times over the years to figure out what some of those un-marked buttons do. System is still performing quite well. Did have to replace the original build Ipod wired interface with a more recent Bluetooth adaptor. Allows for direct music library access from my current Iphone via the AudioControl.

DSC03189.JPG

Last edited:
So if the adapter doesn't work on B bodies, are you saying that you could not get a speaker on the Rear Defrost side?

You can get dual speakers (just for Stereo Radios) on rear but no dual speakers AND the rear deffog. When rear deffog was optioned and you got rear speaker, just left side was equipped with speaker.

if Radio is Mono and rear speaker ( single ) you got rear fader knob.

If Radio is Stereo and dual rear speaker, front got left channel, rear left got left channel and rear right got right channel. No Fader Knob, but Balance knob on Radio

If Radio is Stereo with single rear speaker (so, could be optioned with rear deffog), front was left channel, rear was right channel, and same as previous, balance knob on Radio.

that is at least the info I have and what wiring diagrams show.

Last edited:
Thats interesting, my car came with rear defrost so I am going to put it back in, however I am going to attempt to replicate the E body system to a degree if possible (might not be). I have factory rear defrost in my 73 Cuda and my 68 Cuda as well.

but on your 68 is an upgrade… right? I think these adaptors was a new release for 70…

if you make a web search will find somebody made a custom box to fit blower and speaker with a triangular box on his car

but on your 68 is an upgrade… right? I think these adaptors was a new release for 70…

if you make a web search will find somebody made a custom box to fit blower and speaker with a triangular box on his car
It was an option in 68 (like any other year), however my car is a fast back and the "rear air" as it is called is a completely different animal than 70+ cars.

I will have to utilize the google and see if I can locate this triangular box you speak of..

I've never had an old car with front speakers.

But I've had some pretty good sounding systems with either just 6x9's or with custom enclosures, or a combination of both.
Back in the 80’s, my Charger was a daily. It came with the R22 AM 8 track. I installed a Sparkomatic SR-308 that had 4 speaker outputs. Two 6x9 Triaxials in the back, and I put two piezo tweeters in the front under the factory speaker grills. It sounded pretty good! :D

Most of the "old" car guys I know or have known including me have never really known what "good" audio in a car is like. I remember there was a local stereo shop back in the day (late 70's and 80's) that had a room set up where you could listen to a wide variety of combinations of stereos and speakers (I believe car toys still has something like this). I would go in there and yes it sounded fantastic but the choices were so many that it was way too confusing resulting in the tried and true 6x9's in the rear.

These days I do like a good stereo or better said good sound so I take more time to get decent equipment and add sound deadening which helps a lot.

68 Coronet I built for my 16 yr olds first car. The same reason I pulled out the 318 and put a 440 with TKX in; I am not thru this much trouble for a 318. Same thought on the stereo.

Kenwood head unit, (2) 6x9’s on the package tray, (2) 10” subs with the amp mounted to the back. If you run a 440 with straight pipes(cut outs) which we do, you need to turn the volume up.

The factory panel can be pulled and stored. I cut in a wood front and covered it with black vinyl. I used the big chrome Allen heads for mounting and dog and pony show.

27267A82-31A2-4B12-9F75-B3114B20F0DE.jpeg

32197555-E7D5-4F8B-AB2C-37C5E9276285.jpeg

9E6DCB4D-A6FB-4675-A3F3-4417C8AF93E2.jpeg

C7AB7084-7FF7-40CF-AAED-74B4A2E040E8.jpeg

Most of the "old" car guys I know or have known including me have never really known what "good" audio in a car is like. I remember there was a local stereo shop back in the day (late 70's and 80's) that had a room set up where you could listen to a wide variety of combinations of stereos and speakers (I believe car toys still has something like this). I would go in there and yes it sounded fantastic but the choices were so many that it was way too confusing resulting in the tried and true 6x9's in the rear.

These days I do like a good stereo or better said good sound so I take more time to get decent equipment and add sound deadening which helps a lot.

Wal-mart actually has this display with selectable head unit and speaker combos now.

I did the same thing in my 70 Super Bee- made a wood plate to mount a standard 2 shaft receiver.
The grain was real close to the factory woodgrain dash.
...and it was removable just by putting your fingers in the cassette well, and pulling up and out, then disconnecting 3 plugs.
At that time removable face plate stereos were real popular.

That 2x10 box looks just like the one I built for my Satellite, but mine are traditional woofers instead of "subs", and my tweeters mount above the package tray.
I haven't had it hooked up with an amp yet, though.
I'm still using some oddball 5 ohm Onkyo shelf speakers. Look at these specs-

70W and 60-35KHz- from a 5" woofer.
I just put them in my car (they are 5 ohm, so not terrible mismatch).
Let's just say I'm very impressed. I'm running a Pioneer 25WPC head unit and these things sound sweet.
Clear and crisp with very good low end.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back